Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xref Files

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
StephenP9
233 Views, 4 Replies

Xref Files

I am working on a big storm drainage project. It covers alot of area so we dicided to break the project in three parts. Each part is being worked on seperatly at the same time. What i want to compile all the drawings at the end of each day into one overall drawing. When I Xref these drawings, can the attached drawings be worked on and edited in my overall drawing? It seems like when they come in they are a block and can't be edited. Should they just be exploded? And if so, will there duplicate surfaces and objects when i put these drawings together?

Regards,

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
troma
in reply to: StephenP9

I would say you can Xref them together at will, but only edit the original files. When you save the original individual file, the host drawing will notify you to update the Xref.
Of course, the answer depends on what your goal is. Why are you compiling them together at the end of each day? What are you trying to accomplish here? Then someone will probably advise you of a good way to go about getting to your goal.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 5
StephenP9
in reply to: troma

So my project is a storm drainage network for large area. There is three of us working on it at once. So what I did was create a surface and save it as three different drawings. I guess it would have been easier to xref the surface in after but thats besides the point. I didnt know more people would be working on this with at that point.

In each drawings there is alignments, pipe networks, and profiles. Each drawing is being worked on in different locations of the project area. In my overall drawing I want to take the profiles, aligment and pipe networks the other drafters created and work on the pipe slopes as the other drafters are only creating the alignment, networks and profiles for me.

Message 4 of 5
kcobabe
in reply to: StephenP9

I would say Xref anything not C3D and Data Reference everything else.  Then do your edits in the individual files.  Once you are done you can promote and merge the neworks.  This should get rid of the duplicate alingments and surfaces.  You may end up with duplicate structures, but just delete one of them and join to the one left.

I've had to do this with a very large development in Fort with that was going to be completed in three phases.  At the end of the day we needed to submit a final model of everything.  We even did one better and gave the City of Ft Worth GIS data of all the networks to put in there ESRI database.

R10 - 2020 ACAD
2008 - 2020 Civil 3D
2014 - 2020 Plant 3D
2014 - 2020 Revit
V8i - V8i SS4 Microstation
Infraworks
2018-2020 Inventor
2020 Navisworks
Message 5 of 5
StephenP9
in reply to: kcobabe

This sounds like it applies to what I am trying to do. I will mark this as soltution. Hopefully when I start my data shortcuts everything flows nice and easy.

Thank you,

Regards,

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report