Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

xref box not working

20 REPLIES 20
Message 1 of 21
DHiggins1
616 Views, 20 Replies

xref box not working

Hello can any one help

i type in xr and the box shows up but when i go to attach a dwg or image the box usually shows up so i can browse through and find the dwg i want to xref but the box doesnt show up all it says at the bottom in the command line is ATTACH

If i use the command classicxref then everything is fine i can attach anything i want. i checked the filedia and it is set to (1)

does anyone have any ideas on what could fix it?

Thanks

~Delayne

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
mathewkol
in reply to: DHiggins1

Try this.
http://www.cadforum.cz/cadforum_en/qaID.asp?tip=5749
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 3 of 21
DHiggins1
in reply to: mathewkol

it didnt seam to work but thanks for trying

When i type in xref the first box does show up then i try and click on the dwg at the top left corner that is the box that wont allow me to open.

~Delayne

Message 4 of 21
mathewkol

Can you post a screen image that shows this? Or a video would be even better.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 5 of 21
antoniovinci

DHiggins1 wrote:
i checked the filedia and it is set to (1)

I have no Autocad at home, but... if you toggle the CMDDIA value, any changes?

Message 6 of 21
DHiggins1
in reply to: antoniovinci

The cmmdia is set to (1) and it still wont let me attach any dwg, images, pdfs etc

the screen shot i have added has a photo attached but i used the classicxref to attached it.

the _xattach at the command line is what shows up when i click on the dwg button at the top and no box will show up so i can pick the file i want.

Thanks

Message 7 of 21
troma

As a workaround you can try typing a tilde (~) at the commandline to open a dialogue box when you are asked to specify a file.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 8 of 21
DHiggins1
in reply to: troma

It doesnt get to the point where it asks me to specify a file.

I tryed typing filde and it didnt seam to work but thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks

Message 9 of 21
troma

I meant a tilde, the button above Tab on the top-left of most keyboards.  Here are three of them: ~ ~ ~

But if it isn't getting to the point of asking for a file then this isn't going to help.

Mark Green

Message 10 of 21
DHiggins1
in reply to: troma

Oh ok thanks for the suggestion.

Message 11 of 21
rkmcswain
in reply to: antoniovinci

@antoniovinci wrote:
I have no Autocad at home, but... if you toggle the CMDDIA value, any changes?

CMDDIA no longer affects any AutoCAD dialogs that I know of, although it does still have an effect on many MAP dialogs.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 12 of 21
rkmcswain

@DHiggins1 wrote:

the screen shot i have added has a photo attached but i used the classicxref to attached it.

the _xattach at the command line is what shows up when i click on the dwg button at the top and no box will show up so i can pick the file i want.

Thanks

Are you positive that the first reply doesn't solve your problem? It certainly looks like the file selection dialog is simply "off your screen". 

Let me ask you this. At the point shown in your screenshot, can you click on the screen (to get the crosshair) or click on the command line (to type something in) --or-- does it just beep at you when you do?

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 13 of 21
DHiggins1
in reply to: rkmcswain

I checked with another co worker to see if i was just doing the first suggestion wrong but he agreed that it wouldnt fix it.

i just get cross hairs, no beeps or anything. It doesnt seam like i theres a hidden dialog box anywhere.

thanks for all the help so far

Message 14 of 21
Jeff_M

Does it change anything if you type in .xattach? (Note the leading period.)

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 15 of 21
DHiggins1
in reply to: Jeff_M

now its coming up with and error when i try and attach things.

Message 16 of 21
troma

You should try a RECOVER on your drawing and the one you're trying to attach.

Mark Green

Message 17 of 21

Were you able to find out what caused the issue.  I have a co-worker having the same exact issue.

Message 18 of 21
clemay

After you enter the command XR or ER to open your External Reference Dialog, Enter the Command XATTACH.  Then you will see your dialog box.  And make sure your variable to view your dialog window is set to 1.  You can type FILEDIA at any time and set it to 1.  ( 0 is Off : 1 is On).  Sometimes this gets accidently set to 0 and users can't seem to find the dialog box needed to retrieve files.  I just read the date on this post and realized you may have received a resolve.  But just wanted to share this information with you just in case.  Hope this helps and let me know if you need any further assistance..............CAD On!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Dual Monitor
32 GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64-bit
Message 19 of 21

Thanks for the suggestion.  We tried that and still no luck. I am thinking we need to do a reinstall.  We already tried a repair with no luck.  

Message 20 of 21

Possible 3rd party software conflicting with Autodesk. Run Civil 3D in diagnostic mode and see if that allows the dialog box to view as needed.
http://usa.autodesk.com/getdoc/id=TS1054234

Another thing you could do is reset your Autodesk user profile. this will remove all your customization and start Civil 3D as it came out of the box. The steps below explain how to do this while saving your custom file folders, so they can be brought back after the test.

1.    Navigate to: “C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Local\Autodesk”

2.    For the Autodesk product with which you are having a problem, append the word “OLD” to that folder

3.    Navigate to “C:\Users\<your user name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk”

4.    For the Autodesk product with which you are having a problem, append the word “OLD” to that folder

5.    Open Regedit and then navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Autodesk\AutoCAD\

6.    If you have more than one AutoCAD product, you’ll see a variety of R1x.x numbers. These correspond to different AutoCAD releases, with the major number incrementing when a new DWG format is released. For a specific list, see here:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AutoCAD

7.    Right click on that R1x.x folder, and choose Export. Save this as a backup in case something goes wrong.

8.    Now delete the R1x.x folder that you just exported. 

9.    Now launch Civil 3D and it will rebuild the Autodesk Windows Profile from default.

Hope this helps!

C3D 2016 SP3
DELL Precision T3600
Intel Xeon E5-1650 @ 3.20GHz
NVIDIA QUADRO 4000 Dual Monitor
32 GB RAM / Win7 Pro 64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report