AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
randyspear6624
Message 1 of 9 (324 Views)

xref alignment labels changing colours

324 Views, 8 Replies
12-03-2013 07:41 AM

My alignment ticks use the stanard Aecc Tick block. It is on layer 0/bylayer/bylayer etc and the style is set by layer. They display correctly in the source drawing but when I xref that drawing into others, the ticks change colour based on what every the current layer is in the host drawing. If the current layer is 0 they dispaly correctly, if my current layer has a colour 5 associated with it then my xref ticks regen to blue.  This only happens with the tick not the text.

Bug?

Valued Mentor
KirkNoonan
Message 2 of 9 (317 Views)

Re: xref alignment labels changing colours

12-03-2013 08:24 AM in reply to: randyspear6624

There is a bug with blocks in labels in xref'ed drawings. The blocks take on the color of whatever layer is current in the drawing. I've never noticed it with alignment ticks, but we have some point label styles that have blocks in the labels and the same thing occurs. Try changing the tick in the style from the 'tick' block to a small line instead.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 3 of 9 (300 Views)

12-03-2013 10:30 AM in reply to: randyspear6624

And if your current layer is set to 'no-plot', guess what?  :smileymad:

Definitely a bug.

I've speculated that a workaround might be to make a new block with the layer embedded in it, rather than on layer 0.  But I haven't tested that.

If the block is a simple 'tick' then it is probably simpler to use the previous suggestion and just use a line instead.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

Active Contributor
wetsnow13
Message 4 of 9 (291 Views)

12-03-2013 12:14 PM in reply to: randyspear6624

I haven't checked this but I would imagine that you can go into the style for the alignment label component and change the color from BYLAYER/BYBLOCK to the specific color you would like.

*Expert Elite*
mathewk
Message 5 of 9 (280 Views)

12-03-2013 03:46 PM in reply to: randyspear6624
Bug's been around for quite a while now.
Matt Kolberg
Cansel - Autodesk Division
http://www.cansel.ca/
randyspear6624
Message 6 of 9 (271 Views)

12-04-2013 04:14 AM in reply to: mathewk

Thanks guys, I'll change it to a line in the style.

One other related issue... my line and curve labels show up as "label contains broken reference" when xrefed into another drawing. Is this a bug too?

We are constantly told to keep things in 3D or as intelligent objects for the greater good (BIM propoganda). We've been using C3D for several years now and we've tried sharing our designs with other disciplines for the purpose of production drafting but we always go back to just using it as a design tool and exporting back to autocad for production. So frustrating... our reseller believes that everyone should be using c3d and utilizing data shortcuts instead of xrefs but besides the cost, have you ever tried to teach an environmental biologist how to use c3d? Ugh...

Valued Mentor
KirkNoonan
Message 7 of 9 (261 Views)

12-04-2013 07:32 AM in reply to: randyspear6624
If you are successful in getting your environmentalists to use C3D, please let me know. I have several I'll send your way!
The easiest way to deal with the labels is to label the xref'ed lines in the drawing that you are using for plan production. C3D will label most things in an xref without needing a data shortcut
randyspear6624
Message 8 of 9 (255 Views)

12-04-2013 08:05 AM in reply to: KirkNoonan

Yeah, thats what I did, but other disciplines need to reference my plan into their drawings and that's where the label gets "broken".

Distinguished Mentor
castled071049
Message 9 of 9 (249 Views)

12-04-2013 09:39 AM in reply to: randyspear6624

Another workaround to the block-color-in-xrefs problem is to make a custom command that sets the current layer to "0", the current color to BYLAYER, saves the file, then closes the file. Use this command for closing out your files and they will always open (and publish) correctly.

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.