Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xopen converts reference file name to lowercase

24 REPLIES 24
Message 1 of 25
rkmcswain
3483 Views, 24 Replies

Xopen converts reference file name to lowercase

If we use the command ._Xopen to open a reference drawing, the file name of the reference file is converted to lowercase, and it gets saved this way if we save the drawing. (We typically name files using CamelCase and want to keep the file names this way)

However if we open the reference file by right clicking on the file name in the Reference Manager and choosing open, then the reference file is opened and the file name retains it's case.

Can someone test this? Thanks.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
24 REPLIES 24
Message 2 of 25
troma
in reply to: rkmcswain

What version are you in?  I just tested in 2011, and the file name behaved itself.  Although I noticed that the full path that I have displayed in the title bar all displayed in lower case, which is a little odd.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 25
rkmcswain
in reply to: troma

Sorry, should have mentioned this is C3D 2013 SP1.

And yes, I just noticed that opening _any_ drawing through SSM displays the full path in lowercase, even though it is not that way when viewed in Explorer. Opening the same drawing using File>Open, does not alter the case shown in the title bar.

Of course, THAT may have something to do with how the file name is stored in the .DST file?

Message 4 of 25
troma

Just to be clear about what I did.  (I had never heard of XOPEN before.)

I typed XOPEN

I clicked on the xref.

The xref opened, and I looked at the title bar: the path was in lower case, the drawing name held the correct case (only one letter was uppercase, but it was right.)

I ran an audit, saved, closed the xref drawing.

I went to the file location in Windows explorer and looked at the xref drawing: it held the correct case.

(Just to be clear, no SSM involved.)

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 25
rkmcswain
in reply to: troma

We just moved all of our files to new file storage servers and I want to believe it has something to do with how the filenames are stored internally or something, but....... the fact that opening the reference file from inside the reference manager DOES NOT have an effect on the file name, sort of makes it look like an AutoCAD thing.

Sorry, didn't mean to confuse the matter regarding SSM, I just happened to notice that separate phenomenon while replying to your first post.

Message 6 of 25
rkmcswain

We are having all sorts of problems with XOPEN now.

Files opened with XOPEN and saved, don't actually get saved.

Well, they do, but AutoCAD can't see the saved version

Autodesk says it's our file server. We are evaluating.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=2872551&linkID=9240617

Message 7 of 25
kwoodward

Any feedback from AutoDESK yet?

any chance you are using SEP v12.1?

thanks,

Kevin Woodward

Kevin Woodward
CAD Manager, Columbus, Ohio, USA
Message 8 of 25
Hopper1212

I'm having this issue all of a sudden and when i do a close with top right button and it asks if i want to save changes it shows the path in lower case.  Well I have since realized that this saved file cannot be found after hitting yes save with the lower case path.  Have you figured this out.  Is there a way to access these saved files? They don't show up in file explorer.

Message 9 of 25
rkmcswain
in reply to: Hopper1212

Yes, you are probably using a non-compliant server system to store the files.

We had to switch back to a pure Windows environment. No NAS/SAN, no intermediate *nux systems, etc.

Message 10 of 25
BlackBox_

@rkmcswain wrote:

If we use the command ._Xopen to open a reference drawing, the file name of the reference file is converted to lowercase, and it gets saved this way if we save the drawing. (We typically name files using CamelCase and want to keep the file names this way)

However if we open the reference file by right clicking on the file name in the Reference Manager and choosing open, then the reference file is opened and the file name retains it's case.

Can someone test this? Thanks.

Hi @TimYarris - 

So this issue is suddenly back from the grave in Civil 3D 2019 (presumably vanilla AutoCAD too).

Just noticed it after opening an XREF via Contextual Ribbon Button, went to use the Drawing Tab to SAVE the drawing and noticed it was in all lowercase (we use all caps for .DWG names)... Saved my work, and sure enough the actual .DWG file was made to be all lowercase.

Thankfully, I did a SAVEAS using our all-caps standard and it worked but was an unnecessary waste of production time.

Didn't recall this being an issue in Civil 3D 2018, so I tested it there using the same project drawings and the XREF is opened in its original case (as it should have been).

Cheers

"How we think determines what we do, and what we do determines what we get."

Message 11 of 25
Wes_S
in reply to: BlackBox_

I can confirm this is an issue using AutoCAD 2019. Opening an xref through the xref manager does not cause an issue, but opening an xref via the contextual ribbon causes the file to be opened in all lower case. Doing a save of that file will of course supplant the original UPPERCASE naming convention.

Message 12 of 25
hozanl
in reply to: Wes_S

I only open XREF's through the XREF Manger (External References Palette) and through the right click and selecting open Xref. Opening Xref's through this method also cause, although not 100% of the time, my files to also become lowercase. 

It is interesting thought that although they are lowercase once I open the Xref. It is only lowercase in the title name. If I don't accidentally auto save (Ctrl + S; which we drafters are programmed to do this) the file name still remains upper case the whole time. 

I therefore have to saveas and then just click okay and it will maintain its upper case file name.

I have never opened an Xref directly though the ribbon. I don't know if this might help the AutoDesk team programming this. But It would be such an amazing help if they could get a fix for this. Although this is not necessarily 100% repeatable for me I still get this problem a minimum of 5-10 times a day to over 30-40. 

We work with Xref files a lot. I constantly have to go in and out of Xref's to make changes and updates. It is just a burden and slows me down by a lot. Every second counts in CAD. 

Message 13 of 25
matto235
in reply to: hozanl

Having the same issue here as well.  Just started in 2019.   Ruining my naming structure!  Thank Autodesk

Message 14 of 25
BlackBox_
in reply to: matto235

@TimYarris or @peterfunkautodesk... Bueller?

Bugs taking a while to get fixed is one thing (I get the difficult position you're in), but having them come back after they'd previously been fixed is another thing entirely (especially as a user, paying out the arse for Subscription/rental).

Please help.

Message 15 of 25
TimYarris

@BlackBox_ -- I'm not able to reproduce this on my installation of Civil 3D 2019, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue for others. I'll pass this along to the AutoCAD team and we'll see if they can research how the regression snuck back in.

Message 16 of 25
SMiddick
in reply to: TimYarris

I just found this thread because it is happening to me. I just started using C3D 2019 Monday and noticed it today.

Message 17 of 25
BlackBox_

@TimYarris wrote:

@BlackBox_ -- I'm not able to reproduce this on my installation of Civil 3D 2019, but that doesn't mean it's not an issue for others. I'll pass this along to the AutoCAD team and we'll see if they can research how the regression snuck back in.

Please and thank you, @TimYarris!

Message 18 of 25
TimYarris

Update on this issue:

I learned that the AutoCAD team is aware of this issue and is researching a fix. I'll share more as soon as I am able.

Thanks again for reporting this.

Message 19 of 25
Wes_S

This is great, glad to see this escalated!

Message 20 of 25
hjmcdonald

Hi yes,

I also have this problem in AutoCAD LT 2019. Xref renames itself in lower case.

And the file also continues to lose it's link, so I have to manually re-direct it to the folder.

Even though the saved path is already correct.

Thanks for sorting this asap.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report