Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XML Point File error message

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
yasin2ray
1257 Views, 4 Replies

XML Point File error message

I'm trying to create a surface using a point file I received from the surveyors. It is an XML file (name.xml). I have successfully created a surface before on a different project using the same method. This time I get this error message when I try to add the point file:

"Error parsing value in line 1: Value: <?xml version="1.0"?>"

I opened the xml file and found the first line is indeed that value (<?xml version="1.0"?>).

I think an xml file is not PNEZ, comma delimited, space delimited or anything like that, so I selected the category "any Autocad uploadable file".

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, or if this is from a problem with the xml file itself? I don't want to ask for a new file from the surveyors if it's my error, not theirs!

I've attached a screenshot of the XML file so you can see what it looks like.

Thanks,

Anna

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: yasin2ray

For xml files you don't use the Import points command.  Instead use the Import LandXML data command from the File menu.

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5
yasin2ray
in reply to: sboon

Ok, Steve, I was able to load the data as a Survey using the LandXML function. Thanks! But now what do I do???

I guess the last time I was not using an XML file. It must have been a point file. I don't know where to go from here to make a surface.

Anna

AutoCAD Civil 3D 2010
Message 4 of 5
Cadguru42

@yasin2ray wrote:

Ok, Steve, I was able to load the data as a Survey using the LandXML function. Thanks! But now what do I do???

I guess the last time I was not using an XML file. It must have been a point file. I don't know where to go from here to make a surface.

Anna

Well, the points should be in your drawing or the survey database if you did the import correctly.  On the surface definition, pick the All_Points group as a point group and you have a surface directly from all the points. If you don't want all the points to be used, create your own point group (I call mine Surface Points) and remove any points you don't want as part of the surface from that point group.

If you don't know how to create a surface, I suggest looking at the tutorials.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 5 of 5
sboon

You have loaded the data into the Survey database but probably not into your drawing.  The command that I was suggesting is this one - which will create cogo points for you.

Clipboard01.png

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report