Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with imported shape files

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
mrenn
2066 Views, 4 Replies

Working with imported shape files

Hi,

I'm new to working with GIS data imported into Civil 3d as shape files.  I'm working on setting up base drawings for a new project area and I have a lot of data displayed as polygons with attributes.  This is nice but I would like to be able to copy these to polylines on layers that I can have a little more freedom to work with.  For example the polygon boundaries are not exactly the boundaries that I need to show and editing the borders would be nice.  Is there a better alternative to tracing the polygon boundaries?  I have noticed when I extract feature geometry for linestrings I get a polyIine I can use but the polygons' extracted geometry is a Mpolygon with solid fill.

Does anyone know of a good overview for checking out and editing these features?  I'm interested in knowing what capabilities one has. 

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
antoniovinci
in reply to: mrenn

When you _MAPIMPORT the shapefile, ensure you flagged the "Import polygons as closed polylines" check box, sir.

Message 3 of 5
mrenn
in reply to: antoniovinci

Thanks, I had used the data connect under the planning and analysis workspace to import the shape files.  I see that the MAPCONNECT command brings in a simpler set of polylines to work with.

Is there a method of selecting parts of a shape file to display without having to delete the data? I.E. I want to disply 65 of 100 property boundaries in a shape file.  I tried deleting the polygons in modelspace but that seems to delete the data and now they aren't coming in when I try to import them again in another drawing. 

Message 4 of 5
antoniovinci

If the spatial filter (upper right corner of Mapimport GUI) is too poor, you should perform a "draw query" to display only the chosen parcels.

Please press F1 and learn all about the _ADEDRAWINGS and _ADEQUERY commands.

Message 5 of 5
Tdark

If you're using MAPCONNECT and the Data Connect tool palette then you should "Add to Map with Query" and you can restrict the shape data that comes in using many different methods.

Be careful using the Data Connect tool as the linework that comes in will be slightly distorted in it's spatial location as well as scale factor.  I have no solution for this as of yet.  Using _MAPIMPORT does not have these issues.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report