Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working with Basejump imagery

14 REPLIES 14
SOLVED
Message 1 of 15
autoMick
4514 Views, 14 Replies

Working with Basejump imagery

Hi, I've got basejump going (broke it there for a while), but now I would really appreciate some pointers on using it effectively. I've got 2 main questions:

1. One thing that annoys me is that the Bing raster seems to want to jump up in the display order after a refresh/zoom so that it obsucres my other work. I couldn't find a layer that the imagery is associated with, so my only temporary solution at the moment is to zoom out (way out), select the image and "send to back". Also, ideally, I would like to load all 3 Bing options (aerial, roads, etc.), then have layers where I can turn them off and on as required. Is this possible?

2. Is it possible to copy of an aerial image from basejump and incorporate it into my drawing so that it works for others that might not use basejump? What I would like to do is get to the required zoom level, define an area of interest and then crop the image to this area and save it to a local disk or within the drawing itsefl

Any tips?

- Mick

Civil3d user in Australia since 2012.
14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: autoMick

1. ensure MAPWSPACE is on, then simply drag the bing map layer below the basemap layer.

2. i'm not sure of the legal/copyright issues for this but don't think it can be done while connected to bing. If i was considering this i may create say 4 reference points and display coordinates, take a screen dump, and add the image back using ADERSHEET to rubberband it to the correct location.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 15
neilyj666

i forgot - mapwspace can be used to turn the map layers on or off

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 15
autoMick

Thankyou Neilyj. exactly what I was after. Yes, I was starting to suspect that it wasn't meant to be easy to actually clip a part of the bing imagery out for later use.

Cheers

- Mick

Message 5 of 15
neilyj666

it would certainly be useful to clip out the imagery but I'm sure there are copyright issues re. google earth functionality removed from c3d 2013

EESignature

Message 6 of 15
Murph_Map
in reply to: neilyj666

@neilyj666 wrote:
it would certainly be useful to clip out the imagery but I'm sure there are copyright issues re. google earth functionality removed from c3d 2013

I don't know how basejump works but with other raster connections you couls zoom into the area you need, do a resample from the map task pane then export the map to dwg format. This would create a png (in your users temp folder) of the imaged displayed in the editor window that you could xref or insert into amother dwg.

Murph
Supporting the troops daily.
Message 7 of 15
autoMick
in reply to: Murph_Map

Nice one Murph !

Interesting.... resampling does indeed clip to the screen area. If I zoom in, the image updates to the higher resolution imagery - so it still dynamic, but it certainly seems quicker particularly zooming out as the whole geographic zone isn't being reloaded. If I zoom to extents, the full area is reloaded (effectively undoing the resampling operation), so not ideal from this perspective, but an easy way to reset the image.

I tried exporting, but as a dwg file it didn't seem to work. As a bmp file it worked, but there was no georeferencing information - so I guess would require the rubbersheeting as mentioned previously. Copying and pasting from one drawing to another didn't seem to work either. So it seems a few functions are either disabled or just don't work.

Aside from any potential copyright issues, it would still be nice to be able to save the image with georeferencing quickly and easily simply for my own use - like if the bing connection wasn't working one day, etc. etc.

Cheers

- Mick

Message 8 of 15
neilyj666

Murph to the rescue - again...!!!!Smiley Happy

@autoMick - did you Save Current Map to AutoCAD from the Output ribbon in Planning and Analysis workspace?? I did this and got a dwg of the base map although the resolution was very poor compared with the original "live" data.

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
antoniovinci

If you wanna georeference an existing image physically loaded in the drawing, you should use this free tool:

http://www.cadstudio.cz/georefimg

Another technique involves the opensource Qgis, which loads Openlayers imagery, saving it as Geotiff.

Message 10 of 15
autoMick

Neilyj - no I hadn't tried that, I just did export from the C3D menu. I tried your suggestion - and although it worked, I got the same result as you, the aerial photo was pretty shabby.

Antonio - thanks - looks like something to explore.

Cheers

- Mick

Message 11 of 15
neilyj666

I suppose this is the trade off for having "live" data for free....!!!

I use the Addin that Antonio mentions and it works well

AdApplicationButton_2012-10-01_13-05-29.jpg

EESignature

Message 12 of 15
dretch

I cannot get that  Addin that Antonio mentions to work as the image that basejump gives is not an image.  How can you say it works well? Yea I can install it and a fancy ribbon pops up but it does not solve the problem.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 13 of 15
neilyj666
in reply to: dretch

@dretch wrote:

I cannot get that  Addin that Antonio mentions to work as the image that basejump gives is not an image.  How can you say it works well? Yea I can install it and a fancy ribbon pops up but it does not solve the problem. How can you call yourself an *expert elite*, that laughable.

What exactly is the problem??

@dretch wrote:

I cannot get that  Addin that Antonio mentions to work as the image that basejump gives is not an image.  How can you say it works well? Yea I can install it and a fancy ribbon pops up but it does not solve the problem. How can you call yourself an *expert elite*, that laughable.

Please don't blame me for what the program can and cannot do or for your competence or not in using the information: I just click the buttons and try to find a workaround - as do all the other Expert Elites.

EESignature

Message 14 of 15
wfberry

Dr Etch:

If it is not an image, what is it?

"An image (from Latinimago) is an artifact that depicts or records visual perception, for example a two-dimensional picture . ."

BTW, we did not give ourselves this title.  

Bill

Message 15 of 15
dretch
in reply to: wfberry

The entity is a "ACMAPGISGRIDSURFACEENTITY' that cannot be editted in any way. It cannot be exploded, moved, aligned rotated or transformed in any way.

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report