I seem to be having some issues with AutoCAD Civil 3d 2013... My drawing files are getting larger and larger in size (eg. a 437kb file turned 14mb file when I pasted something in).. I have single drawings with mimimal linework/no blocks/nothing xreffed into the drawing... All that I have done is copied and pasted from another drawing. The items that I copied are created by me in the source drawing...
I am running into a wall with this; there are several other people in my office that has the same issue... I have ran purge all/-Purge/Audit/I have my current graphics driver... I am really not sure on what is going on... this only started when I went to 2013; 2011 and 2012 never had this problem... I have spent hours researching and trying to fix this and have found nothing... I have also turned off my max cache also...
I do have it narrowed down to when I copy and paste something; It usually is just lines and multiline text...
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!!!
Solved! Go to Solution.
Since you have a reproducible case of this problem, I would suggest that you submit a sample drawing to Autodesk Subscription/Technical Support and have us investigate it.
Does this happen with drawings migrated from previous versions only? I would suggest starting a new drawing in C3D 2013 and see if you can reproduce the problem.
It happens when I copy and paste a line or piece of text from one open drawing of 2013 to another drawing in 2013... It happens in every drawing that I touch now so yes It is very easy to recreate... there are several other people in my office that has the same issue... When a drawing goes from under a meg of size to over 20 meg in size; there is a problem... I start with the acad.dwt local template without any layers or styles embedded into the drawing, once I paste anything in from another drawing, it goes haywire... even worse is that I can erase everything in the drawing/purge everything and still have a 15meg file... I just had a drawing jump from 19 meg to over 28 meg in less in a minute due to pasting in a piece of text from a basic detail...
The subject seems to indicate this is a problem with SP1 for C3D 2013. Can you clarify if you had this problem before installing SP1, or only after installing SP1?
I have found a work around with this problem... I believe it is an issue with AEC components inside the drawing created... I have found over 1800 linetypes in several of my drawings; which is impossible to purge/-purge out of the drawing... even when it is blank...
I cannot say that it was exactly a trouble with Service Pack 1; although it might be... I have had to uninstall and reinstall autocad 3 times over the last 2 weeks due to fatal errors that were caused on the install of AutoCAD...
Everyone keeps on talking about uncertified Graphics cards; Could this be an issue with AutoCAD? I am running a Nvidia GeForce GT 630 with over 4gig of memory just on the card alone...
I have tried to write block the entire drawing; that did not work... So I attempted to Export to DXF; which did work on some drawings and created errors on others... So as of right now, I have a 19meg drawing that I am unable to do anything with due to errors on the DXF creation...
What exactly is the procedure on sending Autodesk a drawing with the problems?
Can you post that drawing to a Dropbox or Autodesk360 account and share it?
There was a time that the Geographic location would get all messed up, resulting in HUGE drawing files. Try going to GeographicLocation and removing the existing one if it exists, then save the drawing, Did that help?
Can you post some drawings that can be used to reproduce the problem? The exact steps would also help. Something like:
IIn TestDwg1 select the multiline text object and right click select Basic Modify Tools -> Copy command
Note the file size of TestDwg2
Go to TestDwg2 and click in the drawing and right click select Clipboard -> Paste
Save TestDwg2 and than check the file size.
This is basically what I did but I haven't been able to reproduce the issue. A copy of 1 of your bloated drawings would also be helpful in case we can't reproduce the problem at all.
Autodesk Test Development
GIVE THESE A TRY IF THIS WORKS...
TEST 2 AND TEST 3 ARE THE MULTILINE TEXT TESTERS... THEY SEEM TO BE FINE AT 401KB WITH A SIZE 10 PIECE OF MTEXT...
THE BLANK AND SITE PLAN ARE BOTH BLOATED WITH AEC COMPONENTS UNABLE TO BE PURGED NO MATTER ON WHAT I DO...
There are thousands of unnamed groups in these drawings. I ran a quick little lisp to remove them, here are the results:
BLANK.dwg : Removed 14796 unnamed groups from the drawing.
A save takes this down to a 4mb drawing (from 11mb)...which is still too big.
SITE PLAN.dwg : Removed 24082 unnamed groups from the drawing.
A save takes this down to 6mb (from 22mb), this still seems to large as well.
BTW, the 'quick' lisp actually took 1-2 minutes to run, so be patient if you try it.
Here's the lisp code...can just be copied to the command line:
(setq count 0) (vl-load-com) (vlax-for blk (vla-get-blocks (vla-get-activedocument (vlax-get-acad-object))) (if (wcmatch (vla-get-name blk) "`*A*") (progn (vla-delete blk) (setq count (1+ count)) ) ) ) (princ (strcat "\nRemoved " (itoa count) " unnamed groups from the drawing."))
Access a broad range of knowledge to help get the most out of your products and services.
Download & InstallationGetting your Software
Subscription ManagementSign In / Create Account