Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Working off line with roaming profiles

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Neilw_05
350 Views, 5 Replies

Working off line with roaming profiles

Has anyone figured a way to work off network when the Windows User accounts use roaming profiles (user documents and settings redirected to a network folder).

I've seen articles to the effect that roaming profiles are not supported but I'm hoping somone has come up with a workaround. I want to bring my workstation to an expo to show demos.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
sirjoelsph
in reply to: Neilw_05

Have you tried to just simply use the Windows feature Offline Files?  It syncs copies of the selected folders from the network to you local machine for when the network is not available.

-JOEL
Message 3 of 6
Neilw_05
in reply to: sirjoelsph

No I haven't tried that. I'll see what happens and report but I expect it would be offered as a solution by Autodesk if it works.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 4 of 6
dgorsman

That will work for the network files, like the Civil3D DWG files.  If you installed in the default location, a lot of the support content went into your c:\users\... path, which will be ported around by the Windows roaming profiles.  It think thats the reason why AutoDesk is nixing the roaming profile idea.  For what its worth, I've been modifying our installs to be *outside* the OOTB install path so there isn't anything substantial under c:\Users\... .

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 5 of 6
Neilw_05
in reply to: dgorsman

Since this isn't something I'm going to be doing often I don't think it would be worthwhile to create a custom installation.

I am curious about why you chose to go that route though.
WIN 10 64 PRO

Message 6 of 6
dgorsman

Partly legacy issues from when our IT support was less robust than it is now, those folders have all sorts of user rights that needed to be dealt with (not so elsewhere).  Another part is not having to deal with any paths that change because its a different user or operating system (changes from c:\Documents and Settings\... under XP and c:\users\... under Win 7).  There's a few other minor benefits that are escaping me right now.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report