Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow with this file

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
neilyj666
399 Views, 12 Replies

Workflow with this file

I have a csv file of windfarm lats,longs,name,status and capacity and I want to get this into MAP in the most efficient way and I'd be grateful for any advice (have posted in MAP forum too)

Thanks

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2025 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
wfberry
in reply to: neilyj666

Neil:

What I would do, not necessary the proper way I suppose.  I would add a number to the first column then go to the points format and make a new format.  If you have your drawing (or .dwt) setup for this, just import these points in as usual with the points import command.  The lat-longs know where to go.

I normally use a .txt file (I know the csv is the same but notepad recognizes it without bringing up Excel each time.)

Bill

Message 3 of 13
neilyj666

Thanks for this - I have tried getting the stuff in via MAP => epic fail.

My next step is to create a new point format and import as C3D points - perhaps I can SDF output to use in MAP??

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 13
KirkNoonan

In 2011 there is an insert tab on the ribbon of the Task-Based Geospatial workspace. If you click on the Map Import button, you can directly import a csv file into Map.

Message 5 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: KirkNoonan

Yes - its there in 2012 too but I can't get the file format to be correct (as you can in Points import in C3D)

EESignature

Message 6 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: wfberry

You don't really need to add a point number column. You can create a format without point numbers. For standard files I use the NEZD format. Then the points are numbered according to you Point Creation settings.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
KirkNoonan

You could jockey your csv file around to match one of the available point file formats and split the rest of the data off into a second file. Keep a common index (point number, maybe). Import the points, fdo attach the second data table and do a join.

Message 8 of 13
KirkNoonan

Or is the problem the Lat. anf Long.? If so, take a look at this

http://crunch.tec.army.mil/software/corpscon/corpscon.html

Message 9 of 13
neilyj666

@Anonymous wrote:

You could jockey your csv file around to match one of the available point file formats and split the rest of the data off into a second file. Keep a common index (point number, maybe). Import the points, fdo attach the second data table and do a join.

You've lost me here (bold text)....presumably the fact I have lats and longs will not make a difference as my drawing is set up for the correct coordinate system (OSGB)??

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
KirkNoonan

Sorry, misunderstanding. I thought that the problem was the additional attributes. Use Corpscon http://crunch.tec.army.mil/software/corpscon/corpscon.html to convert your Lat. Long. into N. E. and then you should be golden.

Message 11 of 13
wfberry

I said you  can import using Lat, Longs with the proper file format.   Why use another program when it will come in with that?  At that point you will have your N, E if necessary.  

Bill

Message 12 of 13
neilyj666

No worries

I've got the points into C3D (using a custom point format and have the Status, Name and capacity but now I want to put this info into MAP to get themed maps showing the status and name

Tried SDF on the points but the Status Name and Capacity weren't transferredSmiley Sad

EESignature

Message 13 of 13
wfberry

Neil:

I know just enough about this to get us both in trouble, but I think it goes something like this:

1.  Go to the Survey Tab on the TASK PANE

2.  Select Data, "New Survey Data Store"

I think you will get a dialog box here with a HELP button for the remainder.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report