Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wind Farm hardstanding grading, soooo slow

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
wilsonm2000
511 Views, 6 Replies

Wind Farm hardstanding grading, soooo slow

Hi guys.  I am working on a wind farm, it isnt particularly big, it has 14 Turbines.  I am having a problem with the grading on the hardstands, its taking so long to make amendments, or add gradings.  I have all 14 surfaces on the same drawing.  Should I have a seperate DWG for each hardstand and use data shortcuts for each?  I just thought that would be overkill, but starting to think that would have been a better way of working.  (I actually have a seperate data shortcut for each hardstandsurface).  Just a pain flicking between DWG's.  But probably quicker doing that than waiting for the computer to process doing it the way I have done.  Wondering what others have done with wid farm hardstandings?

Regards

Martin

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dasindog
in reply to: wilsonm2000

What are you using to create the surfaces? I would assume this would be simple enough to use featurelines and that it shouldn't be a hassle to make amendments. What is the area you are grading? What size is you DWG? Which version of Civil 3D are you using?

-Dustin
Civil 3D 2013 64 bit SP1
Windows 7 Pro 64
Intel Xeon 2.93GHz
24GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro FX 580
explodetheblock.wordpress.com
Message 3 of 7
neilyj666

My typical workflow for this work is to create an EGL and then a surface representing competent material that could be used in cut and fil i.e. base of peat/soft clay etc and these surface are then created as data shortcuts.

I draw up the turbine manufacturers hardstand (including adjacent road, blade finger area and rotor assembly area – if required) and offset by 1-1.2m to get the formation area. The hardstand “block” is then copied to the WTG locations and rotated so that the long side is parallel to the EGL contours (for minimum cut and fill)

There is usually a 1:100 longitudinal fall allowed so I use the C3D Surface Working Plane 2013 application to create a working plane from which the formation featureline takes its level such that finished platform level is within the tolerance above/below the WTG concrete base level.

I then use the grading tools to create a 1:1 cut & 1:2 fill batter to competent material and then balance the grading to zero (where possible). The competent material surface and individual cranepad surfaces are then pasted to a composite surface which is used for the alignments.

I regularly calculate volumes in this way for 20 turbine windfarms and don't encounter problems. The best practice is to keep each cranepad's featurelines and grading together and each cranepad in it's own different site e.g. 14 sites in your example (see screenshot of one I'm working on at present)

What are the specs of your computer/OS and which version of C3D are you using??

PS do you work for a developer, consultant or contractor?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 7
allanmm
in reply to: neilyj666

Hi Neilyj

Thats roughly the steps I took.  The working plane tool in 2013 sounds good.  I use 2012, so I just create a working plane with adding breaklines to a surface, drape the featureline over that suraface and grade from there to the sub formation.

We use the HP Z210 workstation:

Intel Xeon® E3-1225 3.10 GHz

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

12GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro 2000

Message 5 of 7
neilyj666
in reply to: allanmm

@allanmm wrote:

Hi Neilyj

Thats roughly the steps I took.  The working plane tool in 2013 sounds good.  I use 2012, so I just create a working plane with adding breaklines to a surface, drape the featureline over that suraface and grade from there to the sub formation.

We use the HP Z210 workstation:

Intel Xeon® E3-1225 3.10 GHz

Windows 7 Professional 64bit

12GB RAM

NVIDIA Quadro 2000

This "free but unsupported"" tool is also available for 2012

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 7
wilsonm2000
in reply to: neilyj666

Sorry, I was signed into a different account there, and replied under that account.  Will look for that add on thanks.

What do you think of our machine spec?

Message 7 of 7
neilyj666

Here's a link http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/AutoCAD-Civil-3D-Customization/Working-Plane-Grading-tools/td-p/331059...

You machine spec should be fine for these tasks  - you could always WBLOCK the drawing and see if that clears away any unwanted data that's slowing the macine down (this has worked for me in the past)

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report