Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Civil 3D 2014 be released for 32 bit operating systems?

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
shane_ororke
9665 Views, 27 Replies

Will Civil 3D 2014 be released for 32 bit operating systems?

I note with great concern that the 32 bit version is 'Not Supported'.

Is it intended to be?  AutoCAD 2014 is supported on 32 bit and 64 bit operating systems.  

There are a number of organisations that aren't in a position to change over their hardware across the orgnaisation on the basis of Civil 3D 2014 requiring it.

27 REPLIES 27
Message 21 of 28
AllenJessup
in reply to: shane_ororke

@Anonymous wrote:

Many of our customers work for government/council organisations and the rollout of new operating systems happens over a long cycle.  Unfortunately that means that these organisations can't use the latest software from Autodesk, if they're wanting to use Civil 3D.  

Yes. It is a struggle. Of our over 1500 computers almost all are still XP 32. Some departments have been able to convince IT to let them purchase Win 7 machines. We have a couple and are going to get a couple more this year. That leave me one short on primary users. And doesn't account for any part time users, we have network licenses.

That's why I have left all out part time users on LDT. They're usually only drawing AutoCAD entities and adding or editing text. It's so difficult to work on a large Civil 3D job with only 3.25 GB of RAM. I don't want any full time users on a 32 bit OS.

Allen Jessup

Rockland County Highway Department

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 22 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: shane_ororke

I have read through some of the replies to this question and find a lot of them very condescending.

My company has three licenses that we run through server licensing; we pay our support contract and get our upgrades.

We have 4 CAD machines 2 x 64bit and 2 x 32bit also we have a couple of engineers that access the program through there Workstations to make changes to drawings when the CAD room is closed.

I personally think it is just lazy to not offer this software in a 32bit format (a little like the support site not working on the latest browsers for half the year) when 32bit machines are still being built and my two 32 bit machines are only 3 years old.

“The user says you just paid $7000 for your software why not just spend $1000 get a new machine”

Well sir you are obviously not a Professional otherwise you would be considering Legacy Software, Budgets and 3 to 5 year IT hardware policies etc etc. Also not all of us run businesses in the USA and we cannot get the same prices you are getting from the local Best Buy.

“When can I not load my old CAD program to my new 64bit machine”

Well sir in most cases you can using compatibility settings or even XP mode, so why not tell them that rather than ridicule the user.

It seems that making fun of people with genuine grievances about expensive software releases  show a real ignorance to professional commercial issues. At the very least the responders have far to much time on there hands and should get a job.

I have seen software companies over the last thirty years take this bullish attitude and it has all ended in tears, usually theirs.

Just my thoughts and opinion not trying to pick a fight.

Message 23 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Cadguru42

Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit) Windows 7 (64bit) became available October 2009.

Vista and XP 64 bit where that unstable that it was like sitting on a chair with a missing leg.

64 bit desktops became widely available around 3 years ago at a resonable price.

So how can anyone seriously state you should have planned to move 6 years ago, there is a reason why IT teams more cautiously because a Major crash at a Major company and that company has quite a high chance of never being repaired.

I was never told last year that this years software would not come in 32 bit....seems to me that this is a cost cutting exercise to make the bottom line look better. You should always advise your clients of major changes well in advance when you represent an international company.

I have said it before this kind of attitude and behaviour will all end in tears....contempt breeds contempt

Message 24 of 28
Cadguru42
in reply to: Anonymous

@itmanager wrote:

Windows 2008 R2 (64 bit) Windows 7 (64bit) became available October 2009.

Vista and XP 64 bit where that unstable that it was like sitting on a chair with a missing leg.

64 bit desktops became widely available around 3 years ago at a resonable price.

So how can anyone seriously state you should have planned to move 6 years ago, there is a reason why IT teams more cautiously because a Major crash at a Major company and that company has quite a high chance of never being repaired.

I was never told last year that this years software would not come in 32 bit....seems to me that this is a cost cutting exercise to make the bottom line look better. You should always advise your clients of major changes well in advance when you represent an international company.

I have said it before this kind of attitude and behaviour will all end in tears....contempt breeds contempt

Vista 64-bit worked straight out of the box without any problems for us. 64-bit has been the mainstream for at least 6 years. 

No one ever said you have to move to 2014, either. If it takes your company years to upgrade, then why are you trying to upgrade the design software so quickly but not the OS? Just wait until you're ready. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 25 of 28
Anonymous

We carry Windows 7 Enterprise on all our machines although some are 32bit. If the 64bit Vista platform was so solid as you say then why did it require three emergency updates from Microsoft in its first 6 months of inception, also why did some major player do a u turn on rolling it out and reverted to XP. Actually Microsoft recommended that you use the 32bit versions of Office 2010, 2007, Project 2010, 2007 (most of their programs) even if you were running a 64bit platform, this was due to capability issues with other software's and other systems you may wish to share your files with basic seamless communication.

I wish to upgrade my systems because I paid for them through my support program that my friend is called not wasting money and using what you have at your fingertips.

Check your dates on your other things about mainstream 64bit sales or just ask your IT team they will put you straight.

"Users can't live with them can't live without them, causing major problems in the world of business automation and communication since 95" Got to love them.

Didn't mean to offend but I have been a Programmer, Analyst, Administrator, etc for the last 25 years. I have seen more major software players disappear than I can remember.

Software developers have become lazy they use RAM and processing power like its free, rather than design then code a robust and efficient program.

I worked on the software that was used by the largest car manufacturing plant in Europe, software that ran everything from design to sales and we used far less RAM and CPU than most developers are using to write a letter.

Just my thoughts my friend.
Disclaimer - BHM Co Ltd

This email, its content and any attachments, is private and may be confidential. This email is for the intended recipient only and is the property of BHM Co Ltd. Any views or opinions presented are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of BHM Co Ltd. If this email contains any material of explicit or distasteful nature then please send a copy of the email to info@bhm.bs for the matter to be investigated.

If you are not the intended recipient, you must not deal with it in any way and are prohibited from using, printing, copying, distributing or disseminating this email or any information contained in it. In such case please notify us by telephone and confirm it has been deleted from your system and copies destroyed.

This email has been swept by for the presence of computer viruses, but no warranty is given that this email and any attachments are virus free. You should undertake your own virus checking. The right to monitor email communications through our network is reserved by us.
Message 26 of 28
Cadguru42

@itmanager wrote:
We carry Windows 7 Enterprise on all our machines although some are 32bit. If the 64bit Vista platform was so solid as you say then why did it require three emergency updates from Microsoft in its first 6 months of inception, also why did some major player do a u turn on rolling it out and reverted to XP. Actually Microsoft recommended that you use the 32bit versions of Office 2010, 2007, Project 2010, 2007 (most of their programs) even if you were running a 64bit platform, this was due to capability issues with other software's and other systems you may wish to share your files with basic seamless communication.

I wish to upgrade my systems because I paid for them through my support program that my friend is called not wasting money and using what you have at your fingertips.

Check your dates on your other things about mainstream 64bit sales or just ask your IT team they will put you straight.

"Users can't live with them can't live without them, causing major problems in the world of business automation and communication since 95" Got to love them.

Didn't mean to offend but I have been a Programmer, Analyst, Administrator, etc for the last 25 years. I have seen more major software players disappear than I can remember.

Software developers have become lazy they use RAM and processing power like its free, rather than design then code a robust and efficient program.

I worked on the software that was used by the largest car manufacturing plant in Europe, software that ran everything from design to sales and we used far less RAM and CPU than most developers are using to write a letter.

Just my thoughts my friend.

Civil 3D 2013 out of the box couldn't edit survey figures. Does that mean it's a piece a crap software? 

As to purchasing the latest and greatest civil design software, why don't you do the same for your OS? Seems like bad IT management to purchase and want to use the newest civil design software, but not the system it's supposed to run on. 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 27 of 28
rkmcswain

@itmanager wrote:

Well sir you are obviously not a Professional otherwise you would be considering Legacy Software, Budgets and 3 to 5 year IT hardware policies etc etc. 

We run legacy software too, on our WinXP (x86) machines. In fact, other than our dedicated Win7x64 CAD machines, all of our other machines are 5+ years old and run WinXP (x86). So I think most of are in the same boat regarding “Legacy Software, Budgets and 3 to 5 year IT hardware policies etc etc”.

We also recognized over four years ago that Win7x64 was the best platform for running Civil 3D, and we are far from what you might call “cutting edge” around here.  This is one time I have to side with Autodesk. If dropping x86 support (for some tiny part of the user base) helps them concentrate on making the program better for the vast majority of users, then I’m all for it.

@itmanager wrote:

Just my thoughts and opinion not trying to pick a fight.

Same here.

R.K. McSwain     | CADpanacea | on twitter
Message 28 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: antoniovinci

Tax payers still want us to use hand drafting.Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report