Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why would my TIN lines connect to Top of Curb instead of only EOP

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
bryancollins3174
1363 Views, 6 Replies

Why would my TIN lines connect to Top of Curb instead of only EOP

I've been working on grading a surface of a parking lot and building pad and been running into all sorts of problems.  When I think I have all my feature lines figued out I realize my contours are spiked all over the parking lot.  Investigated the issue and found that my Centerline of Drive, HP, and LP TIN lines are connecting to the EOP against curbs and sidewalks like they are supposed to, but around curbs they are connecting to both EOP and the Top of Curb(FC & BC). 

A couple rounded areas came out good, but the majority of the areas with rounded curbing came out messed up.  I've attached a screen cap to better illustrate my problem. 

I've been going through and manually deleting the TIN lines connecting to the ToC while in 3D view.  Is there a way around this problem or having to manually take weeks deleting lines, adding in more temp feature lines, etc. 

One problem I've run across when deleting TIN lines is when I delete a few TINs connecting to the ToC those lines go away along with the TINs connecting to the EOP.  Most of the time I can't go back and ADD TIN lines back to the EOP. I miss the days of LDT where I could force additon or deletion of TIN lines (Civil 3D has a mind all its own) as I wanted.

Any and all help will be appreciated.  This project was supposed to have been finished last Tuesday; been grading and editing triangles and such ever since.  At my current speed I will never finish this grading.

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Windows 7 Prof w/ SP1, 64bit, Xeon 3Ghz, 16GB
Civil 3D 2013
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

In terms of tin lines not taking when you want to draw them...

From personal experience, a line has to have no triangles on both sides of ot to be drawn. I.E. you cannot fill a triangle in if it is missing and you have tin lines on all three sides.

If the first go at drawing a tin line in manually between 2 surface points doesn't work, try immediately drawing it again, (without exiting the add surface line command), picking the same points in the same order. I find the second time it usually works.

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 3 of 7

Just had a look at the picture.

Is the top of kerb directly over the invert?

Tin surfaces approximate curves by drawing a line accross the chord of an arc. For larger arc, the program breaks the arc down into multiple chords based on the midordinate distance to produce an approximate curve from many straight lines. In the picture the points where the triangles are drawn from on the top of kerb look offset from the points on the invert. If the two are too close horizontally (compared to the chord to arc distance of the tin line), then the points on the top of kerb would stick out over the middle of the tin lines on the invert. This will cause civil 3d to going the EOP lines to the top of kerbs at these points because the are horizontally closer than the inverts.

To fix this define a smaller mid ordinate distance when creating breaklines or a larger offset from the invert to the top of kerb.

This is probably an simpler and easier to understand explanation

http://tomsthird.blogspot.com/2009/07/civil-3d-feature-line-offset-and-mid.html

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 4 of 7

Thanks for all the input. Surprisingly I found a solution late last night after continuing playing around with the drawing.

When I originally did my feature line offsets I used too small of a offset distance 0.001 and for whatever reason this causes the program to shoot to the top of curb more often than say using a 0.01 offset distance (recreated same scenerio multiple times).  Some TINs still shoot to the top of curb, just not as many. 

For over a week now I've been swapping faces and deleting TIN lines with no solid results and tons of holes in my surface until last night I ventured into 3D view.  I have never had to work in 3D view for any drawing...even under LDT.  It really never occurred to me to try and swap vertical faces/triangles instead of horizontal faces.  And what do you know...it worked.

Thanks again everyone.  Now I can get back to my other grading issue.

Would love it when my project is out the door if I could share my drawing with someone on here and have them walk me through how they would have handled grading my site.  Any takers?

Bryan Collins
Cadd Technician
Windows 7 Prof w/ SP1, 64bit, Xeon 3Ghz, 16GB
Civil 3D 2013
Message 5 of 7

post it

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 7

This is one reason why I like to use a grading object for my Curbs.  Besides daylight I usually do all of my other grading with feature lines, but for curbs I like to use gradings because it stays dynamic with the edge of pavement.  So when revisions are made, I only have to edit the edge of pavement and the top of curb will update.

Message 7 of 7
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: SkipBurns

Interesting. Any issues with corruption? I know many posters here are adverse to maintaining GO in a drawing due to their volatility

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report