Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why I cant change radii on aligment interactively?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
tonnot
297 Views, 5 Replies

Why I cant change radii on aligment interactively?

It seems (I think) that the fast way to layout the aligment could be to use the tangent-curva-tangent option. 

The question is... I cant change the radii with the mouse, I have to do it at subentuty editor.... which is tired and unproductive.... 

Any idea ? What do you think ?

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Civil 3D (2013) how much you have to improve....

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Hammer.john.j
in reply to: tonnot

actually, i find as a Professional and Modeler that its less time consuming to make the tangents as line segments then fillet them without trimming turned on, this gives you the PVI and the Curve, then i put some quick labels on the curves.  then i create an actual alignment and avoid dealing with the clumsy radii editor and the clumsy grip-drag style of modifying an alignment.

it's quite bogus actually, i mean its unconventional to modify your alignment FROM a PVI insted of via tangents and that is the biggest failure of the alignment tools, you essentially are limited to moving PVI's around instead of modifying tangents.

typically, the alignment wants to be parallel and perpendicular to r.o.w. lines or layout lines (Massachussets lingo) and you don't achieve parralel lines using PVI's.

in some long winded way, i'm agreeing with you.

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 3 of 6
troma
in reply to: Hammer.john.j

We generally use lines too. You can use trim, extend, offset (a streetline) and fillet. Then when you're happy, make an alignment of it.
If it needs to be modified we'll edit the original polyline, then snap the alignment onto it.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 6
tonnot
in reply to: troma

Maybe I'm a little influence by other software's behaviours but  this is a poor permormance way of work..... 

By now I'm frustated with some civil3d (aligment and profiles) "styles".

I'm afraid the rest of c3d are going to be dissapointing ...

Thanks !

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 

Civil 3D (2013) how much you have to improve....

Message 5 of 6
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: tonnot

free curve between tangents? and all the other commands have worked for me pretty effortlessly

Joe Bouza
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 6

You could also try the option to "Break-apart PI" (right click on the PI point). This will drop the tangents back a so they can be moved individually. If you use a free curve between the tangents, they will still connect.

Regards

Peter Funk

Autodesk, Inc.

Civil 3D 2014

Peter Funk
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report