Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why do my coordinates change when I import them in?

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Rubixcube10
1302 Views, 12 Replies

why do my coordinates change when I import them in?

My drawing settings is set for US Feet.  My Data Collecter is set for US Feet.  I only import a txt file into the drawing.  My txt file coordinates match my Data Collecter but never in the drawing.  We're only talking about hundreths but I don't understand why it changes in the first place. 

Example

Point 1 in txt file & DC --- 10000N 5000E

but in drawing --- 9999.98N    4999.99E

Point 2 in txt file & DC ---- 9624.7230N, 4971.5346E

in drawing ----- 9624.7422N,  4971.5445E

Can someone please explain why my coordinates change when they go into my drawing.  Thanks

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

AutoCad Civil 3d 2012 SP1
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Are you importing them in through a survey database?

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 13

I usually just import as a txt file.  That's why I don't understand why my coordinates change a little here and there.

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 4 of 13

Try importing them without a drawing coordinate system set.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 13

Drawing coordinate system set?  Where do I go to see if it's set or not?

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 6 of 13
wetsnow13
in reply to: Rubixcube10

^ right-click the drawing name on the settings tab.

My 2 cents are to make sure transformations aren't checked on, scaling isn't checked on and that in your import points from file window that you do not have any of the advanced options checked.

Message 7 of 13
Rubixcube10
in reply to: wetsnow13

Hmm...transformations is not checked, I don't think scaling is checked.  I have to look at my import options to see about the advanced settings.

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 8 of 13

If you are importing with the Import Survey Data command, the point data is being added to the survey data first, then imported into your drawing.  If the survey database is configured for international foot, and your drawing is US Survey foot, then the coordinates will be scaled.  Edit the survey database settings and make sure that it is configured with the correct distance property.

I also had a drawing once that scaled the survey point coordinates even though both drawing and survey database were set to US Survey Foot.  An AUDIT of the drawing fixed that problem.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 9 of 13

Where exactly is the survey database settings?  I used the help find but still didn't see anything about it.

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 10 of 13
wetsnow13

I am guessing from your first post that you use the insert ribbon and use "Points From File".  If this is correct then you do not use the survey database and the setting there should have no effect - though I have been known to be incorrect a time or two.

If you want to cut down one of your text/csv files, insert it in your drawing to make sure it is still tweaking the coords and then post the small txt or csv I'd be happy to insert it in mine and see what happens.

Chances are strong that there is a setting somewhere in your drawing that is goofed.

Maybe try using a new drawing and see if you get the same results?

Message 11 of 13
Rubixcube10

I usually click on Import Survey Data to get my points in.  So at the moment I'm at a loss for words now.  I clicked on new drawing but I don't think it's using my template.  Did my normal stuff, imported my points in and the coordinate match the txt file??? 

Edit:  Interesting, I checked out the settings in the newly created DWG and it's set for International Feet instead of US Survey Feet. 

Now I'm just more puzzeled why my coordinates change.

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Message 12 of 13
wetsnow13

David is probably correct then.  When you hit "Import Survey Data" the settings is a button at the bottom of the dialogue box.

Message 13 of 13
Rubixcube10

Yes it is!  I can see it now.  Thanks for the help everyone!!

Rob

HP Compaq 8100 Elite
Win 7 Pro SP1 - 64Bit
8GB RAM
i7 860 @ 2.80 GHZ

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report