Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who is using Recap?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
Joe-Bouza
531 Views, 12 Replies

Who is using Recap?

Spoiler
so this is a spoiler?
And why doesn't the products site give a better idea of how to use it? Obviously very essoteric stuff.

And why would use this video of how to use it with civil3d?
I don't get it

And why isn't Recap Photo in the product listings?
Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Not me, I'm very sceptical about the great faith being given to point cloud data. Whilst there instances where health and safety considerations would preclude conventional survey techniques I'm still a great believer in getting the boots dirty and seeing the lie of the land for myself

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 13
troma
in reply to: neilyj666

I could be wrong (it's happened before) but I thought recap was for museum pieces or works or art, not topographical surveys. More for making a model of a 3D object than a TIN surface.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 13
AllenJessup

Not yet Joe. The whole IDSP suite, outside of Civil 3D, is on my Round-Toit list for next year. Maybe I can use it to design a Round-Toit Smiley Happy

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
Cadguru42

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Spoiler
so this is a spoiler?
And why doesn't the products site give a better idea of how to use it? Obviously very essoteric stuff.

I don't get it

I didn't even bother to install it on any computer except for mine. I have never even opened it as we don't use point clouds. Recap Photo looks cool, but I tried using the 123d and before that its precursor to make a 3d model of any object in my office and it never worked. I even tried it to make a building model using photos back then using their own tutorials and it didn't work.

I'm loosing my faith in Autodesk. They keep pouring resources into products that a large number of their base simply won't use while neglecting their bread and butter. "Hey look! We made a program to use point cloud data, but we still won't let an alignment label reference both a spiral and curve at the same time!". 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 6 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: Cadguru42

@engrtech wrote:

@Joe-Bouza wrote:
Spoiler
so this is a spoiler?

I don't get it

I didn't even bother to install it on any computer except for mine. I have never even opened it as we don't use point clouds. Recap Photo looks cool, but I tried using the 123d and before that its precursor to make a 3d model of any object in my office and it never worked. I even tried it to make a building model using photos back then using their own tutorials and it didn't work.

I'm loosing my faith in Autodesk. They keep pouring resources into products that a large number of their base simply won't use while neglecting their bread and butter. "Hey look! We made a program to use point cloud data, but we still won't let an alignment label reference both a spiral and curve at the same time!". 

....because it just isn't marketable enough...!?!?!?!?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
neilyj666
in reply to: troma

Not according to the marketing puff - it'll let you build 3d ground models etc.....Hmmmmm....!!!!!

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
Joe-Bouza

That my impression too. purely for presentation stuff, but the sample of using civil3d is way less than museum quality. I'm all for Visualization yada yada, but the civel3d sample looks like a poor;ly lit video game from 1990
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 9 of 13
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: AllenJessup

Me to. So where do we start? 3dsMax, Recap or Navisworks? Frankly, I'm not too motivated to invest any time in them
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 10 of 13
Cadguru42

I've learned a lot over the years about 3ds Max, especially its limitations regarding its accuracy compared to Autocad. I saw a blog post the other day regarding getting Recap to display the point clouds more accurately by moving the origin closer to the model. That tells me Recap is using the same drawing engine that 3ds Max uses; one that's only single point precision instead of double like Autocad. That worries me as to how accurate it really is.

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 11 of 13
andrewpuller3811

Check out this web cast by Sean Twomey of A2K Technologies which shows working with photos, Recap Photo, Recap and Civil 3d.

http://www.a2ktechnologies.com.au/video/point-clouds-from-photos-for-road-design_4

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 12 of 13

Thanks Andrew, big help

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 13 of 13

I've been wonering too? I worry because this thread goes from escallated to plain?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report