Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who came up with the term "Daylight"

27 REPLIES 27
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
2760 Views, 27 Replies

Who came up with the term "Daylight"

This is just a query for my own personal interest. Im confused as to why AutoDesk uses the term "daylight" as a term for what i would concider earthworks or interface. The term makes no sense to me what so ever and after a fruitless search the internet for the originals of this term, i have come to the conclusion the term means nothing and AutoDesk just made it up. If im wrong and it is actually an engineering term I would like to be educated

Dan

27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
Pointdump
in reply to: Anonymous

D84,

I don't know the origin of the word either. Sure, it's a term used by excavators, but I can't think of another word that better describes the intersection of Design Surface and Existing Ground Surface.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 3 of 28
AllenJessup

I've never studied the origin but I originally remember it being used in regards to Storm Drainage. A pipe would be lead to "Daylight". IOW where the pipe would emerge from underground. Possibly the "Daylight Elevation" was where the pipe invert and the ground surface were equal. It now seems to be used for any instance where a proposed elevation is equal to an existing one.

Interesting topic for your first post. Welcome.

Allen

In addition.

It’s mentioned here http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/daylight so it seems to be a common term.

The term was also used in Land Desktop which Autodesk bought from a 3rd party. So the term may have originated outside of Autodesk.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

I would have thought that intersection, interface and earthworks would have been a better words to describe Autodesks daylight. Im sure we will get to the bottom of this one day. Thanks for your response.
Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: AllenJessup

Hi Allen, thanks for your reply.

Yes it is a common term, but its usually in reference to light from the sun.

I like to make things interesting, keeps everyone on there toes

Dan
Message 6 of 28
Jay_B

Just another term describing a slope limit.

Geopak uses "Catch Point" which doesn't make any more sense in than "Daylight" IMO.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Jay_B

I can sort of see Catch Point being slightly relevant, as you could see the footprint of the proposed scheme on the existing ground as a "catch point". I was thinking that maybe its because the new scheme will stop the Daylight from reading the scheme footprint, but going by that logic surely it would be called "Night Time".

I suppose they cant use the term interface because Bentley use that.
Message 8 of 28
AllenJessup

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes it is a common term, but its usually in reference to light from the sun.

Well..... Look up "blue" in the dictionary. Many definitions that don't specifically reference the color.

I see Daylight is used extensively in Geology. It's used in radio and electronics to refer to part of the EM Spectrum. I see it's even used as a term for uncovering something as in "The issue was brought to Daylight when...".

It's likely a term that was brought from the field in to the office. It may have been prevalent before the software or not. I know one of the people working for Softdesk (the original developers of Land Desktop) was originally had an excavation company and started out "pushing dirt". So maybe he's to blame. Smiley Wink

It's an interesting question. But doesn't affect the way the program behaves. Etymology is interesting. But at the end of the day most terms are random. They all evolved from "this grunt means rock and that grunt means eat. I use Arocka to cook my Ool. (ref: Caveman starring Ringo star.)

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 28
Jeff_M

FWIW, I've always known the catch point of a design slope with existing ground as the "Daylight" line. It was taught to me while working in an engineer's office while in high school in the early 1970's, so it is by no means an Autodesk created term.
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 10 of 28
IanMcClain

I've heard it used describe where a top of slope and a toe of slope meet or join, which does not make as much sense. I've always thought of it as the meeting of two grades, existing or designed, typically one of them being flat or nearly so.

The point were a designed grade or feature meets existing ground makes a lot more sense. Thanks Allen 🙂

Ian McClain
Message 11 of 28
Joe-Bouza

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/daylight/m-p/5360443/highlight/true#M260689

When you in its a verb not a noun, then it make perfect sense

http://www.yourdictionary.com/daylight

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 12 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Sorry for my ignorance on this matter, im from the UK and we have different terminology for these things, I was just curious.

One more things, how would you guys specify doing earthworks during the night time?

Message 13 of 28
Pointdump

"...how would you guys specify doing earthworks during the night time?"

Starlighting?

Wondering.jpg

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Pointdump

I like it.

Message 15 of 28
fcernst

Train exhaust

http://cs.trains.com/trn/f/111/t/139632.aspx?sort=DESC

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com
Message 16 of 28
AllenJessup

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry for my ignorance on this matter, im from the UK and we have different terminology for these things, I was just curious.

Hey. Not problem. I enjoyed the question. Some terminology isn't even standard across the USA. I've had to get used to some terminologies from across the globe. Someone may have a question about Chainage along a Kerb. Luckily I've watched a lot of BBC America!

Some of the terminology in Civil 3D was also new to me. I'd never dealt with ETW (Edge of Traveled Way) until I started building Assemblies.

We recently had a project where a recent hire by the consultants kept labeling a Parking Lot as a Car Park. I wonder where he was from? Smiley Happy

Allen

BTW. What's the term for Daylight in the UK?

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous

I never realised how many different terms there were for these things, for example ive only discovered that when Civils 3d talked about Kerb returns it meant a kerb radius. It certaining has been an interesting question, ive got everyone in my design office talking about it.

BTW do you say Curb or Kerb?

An yes Car Park is our term for parking lot :).

As for daylight, we would say earthworks or earthworks interface or just interface.

Message 18 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: fcernst

This is a very interesting explanation for the Daylight mystery
Message 19 of 28
Anonymous

Probably the best explantion for the Daylight mystery has been given by Mike Norton, the forth comment down on the following thread.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/daylight-definition/td-p/1701819

I would have never thought of using ducks and guns to explain egineering principles, im going to do it more often.

Dan

Message 20 of 28
fcernst

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-10-09-railroad-tunnels_x.htm

Daylight Bench subassembly:

Capture.JPG

Fred Ernst, PE
C3D 2024
Ernst Engineering
www.ernstengineering.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report