Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which is Better ?? WINDOWS OR MAC

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
gokulahd
2913 Views, 7 Replies

Which is Better ?? WINDOWS OR MAC

Hey Guys . . . I am Civil Engineering Student . I am Thinking of buying a notebook For using AUTOCAD CIVIL 3d
So help me out in selecting  
MAC or WINDOWS
Is MACBOOK AIR 13' has the Enough Specitication  to Run cad ??
Or some better models in macbook like pro ... 

PlEASE HELP ME OUT ! ! !

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
neilyj666
in reply to: gokulahd

Don't know anything about Macs but a 13' screen and Civil 3D will be painful to use. As you are a student presumably you wouldn't be using civil 8 hours a day so you may be happy enough to use a 13' screen but I certainly wouldn't recommend it...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 8
gokulahd
in reply to: neilyj666

Then suggest me Good LAPTOP for using cad 

Message 4 of 8
neilyj666

This is a sample of forum threads relating to this - it really depends what you will use civil 3d for

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/advice-on-a-new-laptop-please-autocad-civil-3...

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-general/the-best-specification-for-a-laptop/m-p/51769...

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 8

You'll definitely need to run Windows (a Windows machine or BootCamp on Mac). I support a very large amount of both Autodesk & Bentley Civil (Road, Bridge, Survey) applications and there is not one that runs on a Mac OS that I can thing of. (it may b

I would suggest at least a 15" screen (for mobility) with an external monitor(s) for real work. I support about 600 Civil users and screen real estate is premium, not a single one uses only one screen. (FYI, our travelling users had 15" laptops up for replacement with either another 15" or a 17" screen, everyone of them picked 17")

I won't get into the Mac vs. PC debate, just know it needs to run Windows.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 6 of 8
Hammer.john.j

If you are a OSX person, and prefer Mac then I recommend a refurbished mid-2009 and newer 17" macbook pro (MBP)  They are still $900 to $1,500 dollars but I've been using my 2009 17"MBP since 2009 and they are 64 bit compatible.  I replaced my original HDD with an SSD this fall and doubled the ram.  I use boot camp with windows 7 pro and Civil 3D 2014.

bootcamp comes with the OSX but you'll need to buy windows 7, and I recommend 7pro from amazon, newegg, etc.

I also recommend lubos (spelling) fan control because windows does a poor job of recognizing the temperatures and properly operating the fans for the gpu and cpu (it's a twin fan setup, and the left or right, can't remember cools cpu as well), it'll get excessively hot if you don't control the fans.  Also, make sure you have the graphics set to the highest level to use the GeForce 9600, otherwise it'll revert to the 9400.

http://www.macofalltrades.com/MacBook-Pro-17-inch-HRG-2-66GHz-i7-Mid-2010-p/mbp-17-266-m10hrg.htm

I've thrown away the windows side on the machine 3 times and never rebuilt the OSX side.  All of the operating system upgrades for the OSX side require you to typically.... do nothing except "install".  However, upgrading the windows xp, windows vista, windows 7 i86 (32 bit) to 64 bit required starting over and each time I had to wait 1/2 the day for windows update patches and reinstall all of the software... consider windows disposable and mac side forever.  Also, if you backup to an external, you can't backup windows and osx to the same HDD.... consider cloud or seperate backup devices.

If all of this sounds like too much there are dirt cheap throwaway options as well.

John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager
Message 7 of 8
Joe-Bouza

Thats been a debate since 1984.

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 8
Hammer.john.j
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I should clarify, it's not that one is better than the other in my opinion it's just that each works well for different purposes and that's why I like having both.
John Hammer, LA/CADD Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report