Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where did my points go?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
garbageguy
379 Views, 12 Replies

where did my points go?

I have a drawing from Civil 3D 2008 that had COGO points.  When opened in Civil 3D 2010, the points are there.  I can see them, list them , edit them, etc.  I wanted a cleaner dwg file, so I opened a 2010 template file, WBLOCK'd objects from the 2008 dwg and inserted them into the 2010 dwg file, and ran audit and recover.  Now the 2010 dwg doesn't seem to have any COGO points.  Thoughts on how to get my points back?  The old drawing file was getting very slow, but maybe I shouldn't have WBLOCK'd etc.  Any suggestions appreciated.

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
troma
in reply to: garbageguy

Did you explode on insert?  If not, explode the block now.

Run audit again afterwards.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 13
garbageguy
in reply to: troma

I think I did.  Would the entire drawing have been one block when first inserted?

If so, what's the best way to get all my points from the old drawing back into the new drawing?

Message 4 of 13
troma

If you didn't have Explode checked, then yes, the entire drawing you WBLOCKed would be one block in your new drawing.  If you exploded on insert or if you didn't but explode it now then the points should come in fine.

I think your workflow is good.  Another option would be to copy/paste from old to new.  Either way you are leaving behind any background glitches along with any unused settings & styles, which is always a good thing.

If the points still aren't coming over, you can export them to a text file and import them in the new drawing.

Mark Green

Message 5 of 13
garbageguy

Thanks.  Good to hear my approach was OK, although I only reduced the file size from 57 Mb to 54.  But it does seem a bit cleaner, faster.  Will copy/pasting the points preserve point number, groups, etc?

Message 6 of 13
troma

Point number, yes.

Point groups, I think so.  Pretty sure.  You should probably double check.

For myself, when doing the copy/paste I would have both drawings open in the newer version of C3D. If you're worried about being able to open it ever again in the older version, make a copy of the drawing.  Then audit, recover etc that copy of the old drawing first.  Then copy/paste or WBLOCK.

Mark Green

Message 7 of 13
jmayo-EE

I would export/import points via a txt file from one dwg to another just to insure nothing funny was happening behind the scenes. Although we all use the clipboard I still don't think it is a recommended practice or a supported feature for moving C3D data.

Point numbers will hold. Point groups will hold if they are set up the same in each dwg and there are no manually created groups. If the groups all self-populate based on description they will be identical.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
troma
in reply to: jmayo-EE

Is that based on copy/paste or WBLOCK/Insert?  Or both?

I know I've had situations where the same point groups are set up in both drawings, and after I copied the data they were all doubled up, like "Point Group" and "Point Group (1)".  I can't remember the workflow on that one.

Still can't data shortcut points?  That would be nice sometimes.

John, if the groups are not based on description (eg they contain each day's worth of topo data) and you export to .txt and import again, how would you get the groups back?

Mark Green

Message 9 of 13
jmayo-EE

There may be a better way but I have only had to do this for a few groups over the years. I have opened the original dwg and went to the point groups dialog, copy/paste the point list source(s) (ie desc's/number's included/excluded) to a new point group in the new file.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
garbageguy

I did check the explode box when I WBlock'd.  The new file does have the point groups, just no points.  I guess I'll just to try either copy/paste, or putting the point out to a .txt file and see where I land.

Message 11 of 13
jmayo-EE

You could also export each point group individually and assign a group on import. I would watch for dup points with this.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 12 of 13
troma

Are you sure you had them selected when you made the WBLOCK? Try opening up the WBLOCK dwg and see if there are any points in there.  I know for sure that it has worked for me in the same way as you are trying to do it.

Mark Green

Message 13 of 13
KirkNoonan

If you have a point number-based group, you can drag and drop a point group from workspace of one drawing into model space of a target drawing. The definition will hold, points will not be copied.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report