Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats wrong with this expression?

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
Joe-Bouza
838 Views, 11 Replies

Whats wrong with this expression?

IF({Inner Structure Width}=4 &{Inner Structure Length}=4,{Rim to Sump Height},-1)

My structure table is list -1 for all

partlist.png

partprops.png

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
Jeff_M
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Joe, 4 != 48
Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 3 of 12
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: Jeff_M

Hi Jeff
not sure what you mean with the not equal operator and the inches? I've been using the foot equivalent with the others? Should I be using inches?
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 4 of 12
Jeff_M

I would think so. Your structure properties say they are 48 wide so I'd make the expression look for that.
EESignature
Message 5 of 12
Joe-Bouza

I tried both and niether seems to work, but the theory works for the other sizes
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 12
Joe-Bouza

The part builder say 48x48 the structure props say 4x4. My work around was to give the frame width a unique size and it like that expression using feet.

strucprop.png

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 7 of 12
Jeff_M

OK, now that I have access to C3D I can see that the length/width can be input in feet. But something is strange...I just tested your original expression modified to return either 1 or 0 and used this as a label's X offset value as well as the label contents. The label updated & moved, as expected, when I edited the structure width or length. I then changed the 1 to be the {Rim to Sump height} and the label changed as if the check failed just as you were seeing. This is where it gets real weird, I can no longer get the expression to work at all, even by replacing the {Rim to Sump height} with a 1 again.

EESignature
Message 8 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Wow.
Thanks for looking into this, Jeff. I don't know if you saw my previous post for the work around; reading frame width seems to work.

Now my issue is rounding. I want to roundup(RimToSumpHeight) and its not reacting. First, help doesn't show an additional argument and the composer asks for one. Thinking Excel I used roundup(RimToSumpHeight,-1). the composer likes it but the style does not; nothing rounds. I was hoping to add contingency with an expression too, but its looking grim 🙂

Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 9 of 12
doni49

@Joe-Bouza wrote:

Wow.
Thanks for looking into this, Jeff. I don't know if you saw my previous post for the work around; reading frame width seems to work.

Now my issue is rounding. I want to roundup(RimToSumpHeight) and its not reacting. First, help doesn't show an additional argument and the composer asks for one. Thinking Excel I used roundup(RimToSumpHeight,-1). the composer likes it but the style does not; nothing rounds. I was hoping to add contingency with an expression too, but its looking grim 🙂

Joe,

What's the purpose of the NEGATIVE 1?  What place do you want to round to?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 10 of 12
doni49
in reply to: doni49

Using excel as an example:

ExcelRoundUp.png

The "Rounded Value" column shows how the original number "A1" gets rounded using ROUNDUP and the number from the second column for that second argument.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 11 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Thanks Doni
I miss read the excel help. And the one thing I did not do was reopen the file after adjusting the expressions - upon reopen the expressions appear to work
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 12 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Great!
any idea why it doent work reading the structure length? I had to work aroung reading the frame length
Thank you

HP Z210 Workstation
12 GB Ram

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report