Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what template to use

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
achillesgr
243 Views, 4 Replies

what template to use

hello,

i am trying to learn the c3d and setup a template to use.

i do not know the cad standards and i would like to setup a template acording. what template to use ?should i download from somewhere or inside the autocad dir there is a template with the cad standards?(incl. layers , description keys, linetypes...)

thanks!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
john.mckenzie
in reply to: achillesgr

Civil3d does not dictate a standard to use. There is a template provided that is based upon an Interpretation of National CAD Standards, as well as others.

When you start a new drawing, Autocad will want you to choose a template. the templates listed are from the default directory unless you have repathed this through the options command. You can choose one of these to get started.

Learning C3d should be your first goal. At least getting a bit of time with it under your belt. You can accomplish this with the tutorials provided with the software, or by watching many youtube presentations on various C3d subjects.

Then you will be on a more sound foundation to begin developing a standard template for your company.

Companies have been started that deal expressly with template development for other companies. It is an involved process that will not happen overnight.

So what template to use?

Start with one in the default folder ( I would suggest the NCS Imperial or Metric one supplied with the software, learn about the software and observe how the styles work as you go.

Completing a template to your companies standards without knowing the software is like trying to write a recipe for chocolate cake without ever having seen or tasted one.

Message 3 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: john.mckenzie

If you use you own layer and such start over with a 2014 dwt and import styles & setting / drag and drop / design center everything into the 14 dwt/dwg. You'll end up with a cleaner, leaner template.

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 5
john.mckenzie
in reply to: rl_jackson

Granted. But the OP is learning c3d. Therefore I would recommend the NCS one provided by Autodesk. IMNSHO it is far from clean and usable in production, but it does provide a lot of styles for the basic things which will help a newbie see the capabilities and give them a jumping off point to start customizing to their own standard. Once I got really serious about a template, I started with a drawing that contained Nothing but the layer 0. I built it all from scratch. It is clean, lean, and exactly what I want.

But not the way to start out if you are a newbie.

Message 5 of 5
rl_jackson
in reply to: john.mckenzie

Wrong post

?
Rick

Rick Jackson
Survey CAD Technician VI

Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report