Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's going on with my Sample Lines and Section Views???

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
johnthoreson
2138 Views, 4 Replies

What's going on with my Sample Lines and Section Views???

I'm working in C3D 2013 and creating driveway profiles using sample lines and section views.  

Creating sample lines the first time is straight forward enough.  Things start acting strangely when I go make section views.  

For example, I've created two sample lines that are part of a single sample line group, yet why are three sections shown available to draw in the Create Multiple Section Views window shown below?  I'm expecting only one selection (I've created sections from a different group containing 6 sample lines and was only offered one selection).    What do these other selections represent?

Create Section View window.JPG

I've noticed that some of my sections are drawn correctly and others act as if they've lost their link to the surface that I wanted to sample (see the image at the very bottom).  When this happens, which isn't consistently, I'll delete the set of sections and also delete and recreate the sample line in question.  When I go to create new section views for the entire group, some other section that looked fine before has now lost it's link to the surface.  The upshot seems to be that if I delete section views and one of them looses it's link to a surface, then I have to start over by deleting all the sample lines, recreate them, and then create section views again.  Then they seem to be ok like in the screenshot below.  Is this normal or should I be able to delete section views and have them be recreated and still keep their link to the surface?

If this is normal, is the idea that any time you want to edit your sections you need to recreate all the sample lines associated with a sample line group and then recreate the section views?

Anyone else having this difficulty?

Section View ok.JPG

The sections above look good.

Section View not ok.JPG

These sections have lost their link to the surface they were supposed to sample.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
dgordon
in reply to: johnthoreson

if you're deletings your section views by selecting them with a window..... you're not only selecting and deleting the views but also the sections.

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 5
johnthoreson

Do you mean that if I delete a section view by selecting it with a window that I also delete some part of the link between the sample line and the section view (which only becomes noticable the next time it's created)?

Message 4 of 5
Pollmuller

If you would like to add a surface to your section view it needs to be a part of the group of surfaces in the selection set of the sample lines. Now, you may have accientally deleted the surface by "windowing" your section to delete it. You can add in the surface again without re-doing all your work.

1. Toolspace
  2. Alignment
  3. Sample Line Groups
  4. Sections
  5. Sample more sources

See the photo for the full work flow.

FYI, you can also change the display style of your sections here.

Good luck and happy drafting!

On a somewhat unrelated note, if anyone can help me figure out why I don't have the right templated to plot sections for production I would really appreciate it.

AUTOCAD Civil 3D 2013
Windows 7
Processor: Intel (R) Xeon (R) CPU W3565 @ 3.20GHz
Installed Memory (RAM): 12.0GB
System Type: 64-bit

Thanks

Erika
Message 5 of 5
johnthoreson
in reply to: Pollmuller

Thanks, Erika!  Your workflow picture was very helpful.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report