Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What problems are you having from 2007 dwgs in 2008?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Nrhoads
498 Views, 16 Replies

What problems are you having from 2007 dwgs in 2008?

How about listing the things that are wrong with our 2007 dwgs when opened in 2008 here?

I'll start by listing a couple:

1. Point labels act funny in some dwgs. Some have grips at the symbol insert and the label (desired) and some only have the grip at the label, not the symbol. This also happens when using my 2007 dwt point label styles.

2. Parcel labels do some crazy stuff when opening a dwg through windows explorer vs. opening the dwg from within C3D. They change styles and drag themselves into a drag state.

I'm nervous about using my 2007 template in 2008 drawings. I sure don't want to "start from scratch" again either.
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
petrocat
in reply to: Nrhoads

I've migrated my 2007 template to 2008. No real problems with styles. We haven't used pipes that much, so I cant speak of those styles.
One thing I did notice was in the point label styles; leaders not touching the point when using my template vs leaders touching the points using the Acad template. So I just replaced my point and point label styles with styles from the outofbox 2008 template.
Message 3 of 17
Sinc

1. Haven't seen it. Do you have any other details that might shed light? I suspect it's something in the way you defined your styles. It might be a bug we haven't seen because we don't define our styles in the way that triggers it.

2. I stopped using Windows Explorer for opening DWG files a long time ago. I got tired of the wrong version of Autocad starting up (Map instead of Land Desktop, or Land Desktop instead of Civil-3D, etc.).
Sinc
Message 4 of 17
dana.probert

drawings with lots of point groups and point groups layers (which don't exist anymore in 2008) doing weird things on audit that i can't seem to fix. if i figure out what is going on, i will post
Dana Probert, P.E.
Technical Marketing Manager, Civil Engineering
Autodesk
Blog: BIM on the Rocks
Learn More About BIM for Infrastructure
Message 5 of 17
Nrhoads

Here's a sample dwg that has these problems. Try to get the grip to pop up on a tree or some point with a symbol. You only get one for the label, not one for the symbol.

I can post a subdivision dwg that has the parcel label problems in it. This dwg only has some topo.
Message 6 of 17
Nrhoads

OK!
Why are point group layers gone? I have been confused enough over layers and now this...
Message 7 of 17
Sinc

Was this data dumped in via FBK import? Those points get "locked down", and must be changed in the Survey Database.

If you have 2008, you can try unlocking them, on the Survey tab of Toolspace (right-click on the Survey Points collection).
Sinc
Message 8 of 17
Nrhoads

I knew Survey points were locked but did not think about that affecting the grips on them. You're right, I think that is the problem on the grip issue, though I like to click a point and see the insert of the symbol. Thanks for the insight.
What about the arrows on the point labels? Did you drag one and see the funny shapes they make?

Why are point group layers gone? Message was edited by: Nrhoads
Message 9 of 17
kowalsker

Labels: Moving from location as saved in '07 upon opening in '08. Extra Grips that do nothing associated with labels.

Section Views:
Setting you section view padding to 0 in the horizontal results in the labels being labeled from outside in rather then inside out at your specified Major and Minor tick Intervals. Setting the Cell Padding to 1.0 on the both the left & right causes the issue to go away but for me results in a 2" wider section which no longer fits the vertical text in to the viewport in my layout.
i.e.

2007: 40' Major, 10' Minor Horz.; 4' Major 1' Minor Vert. resulted in
24 24
20 20
16 16
12 12
-120 -80 -40 0 40 80 120

2008:
24 24
20 20
16 16
12 12
-102 -62 -22 18 58 98 138

Profiles:
Pipes are upside down depending on whether drawn from left to right or right to left in the plan. Label styles using Pipe Bottom or Pipe Top anchor points are affected.

Profile Labels no longer seem to have the "Flip Label" function attached to them. (specifically grade breaks) I have some tall profiles where it was necessary to flip the labels from above to below the profile to fix the view in my layout viewport. After opening this 07 file in 08 I can no longer flip the labels and they have revered to there original above the line position.

I'm sure I'll be back to post more f-up's in '08. But I have a job needs to be out Monday morning and I don't have time to FIX, Work-Around, Repair, Recover or Recreate this project in '08.

I'll just have to suffer '07's instability and truly miserly performance as well as dump my last 6 hours of work in '08 as the files are no longer usable in '07.

For me C3D =
Productivity down,
Job Quality down,
Customer satisfaction down,
Weekends available for recreation vs. Overtime down,
Job satisfaction down,
Message 10 of 17
kevincurrey

Labels:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5571068

Also:
http://discussion.autodesk.com/thread.jspa?messageID=5580958

So that means for us 2007 drawings have to stay there for now. And before we can really start using 08 we have to re-create some templates.
Message 11 of 17
Nrhoads

The label problem was not limited to explorer as I first thought. However, it is now doing fine. In fact, I have opened several dwg's and the labels look fine. The 2007 ones I have in drag state are still in drag state in 2008. The 2007 ones that were not in drag state are still not in drag state in 2008. They appear to be working fine now. I'm not sure why...it makes me nervous though.
Message 12 of 17
Matt.Anderson

I have been seeing odd drag state behavior trying to invoke a drag state on a label. (2007 point & label editing in 2008)

I haven't played with the Annotation Scale, but as I drag my label to a position about 10 feet away, the label flys way farther than I intend.
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 13 of 17
Nrhoads

Point labels only or parcel labels & general line labels too?
My parcel & general line labels seem ok.

I like new features but the Annotation Scale thing seems hard to get a grip on.
Message 14 of 17
Matt.Anderson

Sorry, meant to indicate they were point labels. I haven't needed to drag parcel labels yet. (nor general label either...)
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 15 of 17
Matt.Anderson

I must be going mad, cause we tried the same drawing, different computer, but got the expected behavior.
Matthew Anderson, PE CFM
Product Manager
Autodesk (Innovyze)
Message 16 of 17
Nrhoads

Civil 3D does have a mind of it's own!!!
Message 17 of 17
lwreece

We just upgraded today. But so far we've had contour labels go missing, a few broken reference alignments, and some problems with the settings on the create multiple section sheets (grid on the section views want to align themselves with the top and left margins of the print area and not move). I'm sure there will be some more problems but that's it so far.

lwreece

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report