AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Reply
*Cupp, Stephen
Message 1 of 4 (111 Views)

What is this?

111 Views, 3 Replies
10-13-2003 08:24 AM
I got the Civil 3D today and have some questions.

Is this going to be incorperated into Land Desktop at a later date?
When is this going to be ready to use on production drawings?
How much is this going to cost? (Yeah we got the preview free but what about
the production version)
What happens when people that only have LDD 2004 see when they open a
drawing created in Civil 3D?
Can the data be exported back into the LDD database (or does it stay there
to start with)?

I think most of these need to be answered before I install this.

Thanks,
Stephen Cupp
*Wedding, James
Message 2 of 4 (110 Views)

Re: What is this?

10-13-2003 10:18 PM in reply to: *Cupp, Stephen
>Is this going to be incorperated into Land Desktop at a later date?

Currently, LDT and C3D are both under development. I think you can read the
writing on the wall though. When C3D has all of LDT's functions, why would
you keep it? That's speculation on my part, and I expect it will be a few
years.

>When is this going to be ready to use on production drawings?

How brave are you? I would consider the preview edition a VERY public beta.
If you're willing to tempt fate, go for it now. Personally, I'm going to be
doing some minor production work with our planning and surveying folks, but
that's a risk I'm willing to take. Your mileage may vary.

>How much is this going to cost? (Yeah we got the preview free but what
about
>the production version)

Pricing has not been set yet. With that said, and remember that I don't work
for adesk, this is my understanding of the pricing. C3D will be free for
each copy of Civil Design and LDT you have on subscription. For each copy of
LDT on subscription, it will be available at a reduced pricepoint. There
will be another price point for new purchases. This could change, so contact
your reseller if you really want to get after it. I wouldn't bother for now,
I expect this could all change based on reaction to the Preview edition.

>What happens when people that only have LDD 2004 see when they open a
>drawing created in Civil 3D?

If you install LDT and C3D SBS, LDT will have a C3D enabler. You'll see the
objects without proxies, etc. If you don't have them on the same machine,
you have to install the C3D OE in order to avoid proxy warnings.

>Can the data be exported back into the LDD database (or does it stay there
>to start with)?

C3D has full LandXML capabilities. It does NOT interact with the standard
LDT database sets. Again, this is my personal suggestion: Don't do it.
decide you're going to do some work with C3D and do it. Don't mix the two if
you can avoid it. If you must have Road Cross Section design, wait. If you
must have pipes, wait. I personally think mixing will lead to some real
headaches in keeping things current. I _always_ think that though, any time
I have to have two sets of data.

Hope this helps!
--
James Wedding, P.E.
IT Manager
Jones & Boyd, Inc.
Dallas, TX
XP/1 on P4-1.6/512
LDT2004+C3D
*Rizzo, Jon
Message 3 of 4 (110 Views)

Re: What is this?

10-13-2003 10:20 PM in reply to: *Cupp, Stephen
Hi Stephen,

> Is this going to be incorperated into Land Desktop at a later date?

No. The two programs are completely separate. Judging by the amount of
(lack of?) effort that has been put into Land Desktop over the past few
years, I would guess that development of LDD will probably stop all together
once Civil3d is a little more polished.

> When is this going to be ready to use on production drawings?

That's the $50,000 question. They haven't said yet. I'm not sure that they
know themselves. ;-)

> How much is this going to cost? (Yeah we got the preview free but what
about
> the production version)

They have already included it as part of subscription. I can't see them
taking it away, but I could be wrong.

> What happens when people that only have LDD 2004 see when they open a
> drawing created in Civil 3D?

They would see proxy graphics, unless they download the Civil 3D object
enabler.


> Can the data be exported back into the LDD database (or does it stay there
> to start with)?

Civil 3D can export to LandXML, which can be imported by LDD. The process
is not exactly efficient or seamless, so I wouldn't advise trying to hop
back and forth between both programs on the same project.


> I think most of these need to be answered before I install this.

I think the idea behind releasing the program before it is ready was to give
you a chance to learn how the program works, and to use this forum to
discuss what you like/dislike about the program & discuss any issues you may
have that they are not aware of. There is a lot of learning and setup that
is necessary to get all of your styles to look exactly the way you want them
to look. You can either wait until the "real" version is released, or you
can get a head start now. I don't see why the "ready" date or selling price
should influence whether or not you install the preview version.


Hope this helps,

Jon Rizzo
Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc.
*Cupp, Stephen
Message 4 of 4 (110 Views)

Re:

10-14-2003 12:27 AM in reply to: *Cupp, Stephen
The selling price has alot to do with rather I install it or not. I don't
want to spend a ton of time on something that in the end management says no
we can't afford that. As for going back in forth I was just thinking about
some of clients require us to send the LDD data at the end of the project.
I was also looking at the "ready" date to find out how much time I had to
play with it.

Thanks for your answers,
Stephen Cupp

"Jon Rizzo" wrote in message
news:54F638EB1B435FFD649F1F00CBBE995B@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
>
> Hi Stephen,
>
> > Is this going to be incorperated into Land Desktop at a later date?
>
> No. The two programs are completely separate. Judging by the amount of
> (lack of?) effort that has been put into Land Desktop over the past few
> years, I would guess that development of LDD will probably stop all
together
> once Civil3d is a little more polished.
>
> > When is this going to be ready to use on production drawings?
>
> That's the $50,000 question. They haven't said yet. I'm not sure that
they
> know themselves. ;-)
>
> > How much is this going to cost? (Yeah we got the preview free but what
> about
> > the production version)
>
> They have already included it as part of subscription. I can't see them
> taking it away, but I could be wrong.
>
> > What happens when people that only have LDD 2004 see when they open a
> > drawing created in Civil 3D?
>
> They would see proxy graphics, unless they download the Civil 3D object
> enabler.
>
>
> > Can the data be exported back into the LDD database (or does it stay
there
> > to start with)?
>
> Civil 3D can export to LandXML, which can be imported by LDD. The process
> is not exactly efficient or seamless, so I wouldn't advise trying to hop
> back and forth between both programs on the same project.
>
>
> > I think most of these need to be answered before I install this.
>
> I think the idea behind releasing the program before it is ready was to
give
> you a chance to learn how the program works, and to use this forum to
> discuss what you like/dislike about the program & discuss any issues you
may
> have that they are not aware of. There is a lot of learning and setup
that
> is necessary to get all of your styles to look exactly the way you want
them
> to look. You can either wait until the "real" version is released, or you
> can get a head start now. I don't see why the "ready" date or selling
price
> should influence whether or not you install the preview version.
>
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Jon Rizzo
> Langan Engineering and Environmental Services, Inc.
>
>
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.