Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened to LDD edit 3dpolyline function?

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
annw2
512 Views, 19 Replies

What happened to LDD edit 3dpolyline function?

No.  I do NOT want to create feature lines from the 3dpolyline.  I wanted to create generic 3d polyline around my end wall block that I could insert into drawings and have the ability to move them to pipe invert before using for grading.

I gave up and used the 2009 LDD edit 3dpoly function to set the vertices at the correct elevations.

Ann Wingert, P.E.
19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
Jay_B
in reply to: annw2

I'm not sure I follow what you're trying to do but many of the "Edit Elevations" commands included in Civil 3d will work on 3d poly's without converting them to Feature Lines.

Modify tab of Ribbon>Edit Elevations panel.

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Win 7 Professional 64 Bit
Message 3 of 20
wfberry

You can the FL utilities to work with the 3D Polyline.  Look at all that time you wasted.

Bill

Message 4 of 20
BrianHailey

What's wrong with feature lines?

Brian J. Hailey, P.E.

GEI Consultants
My Civil 3D Blog

Message 5 of 20
Pointdump

Ann has a point here. You can drape a 3D Polyline on a surface, yes:

3DPoly1.png

But the Elevation Editor, GRADINGELEVEDITOR, does NOT work on 3D Polylines:

3DPoly2.png

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 6 of 20
Jay_B
in reply to: Pointdump

Dave,

The Editor, No it does not support 3d Poly's but hover your cursor over the icons to the right of the editor in your screen shot and there are many editing tools which do support 3d poly's. (How to videos for each of these commands are also included merely by hovering over the icons).

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 7 of 20
Pointdump
in reply to: Jay_B

Jay,

You're right, of course:

3DPoly3.png

But the Grading Editor is so much nicer than command line editing.

Dave

Dave Stoll
Las Vegas, Nevada

EESignature

64GB DDR4 2400MHz ECC SoDIMM / 1TB SSD
NVIDIA Quadro P5000 16GB
Windows 10 Pro 64 / Civil 3D 2024
Message 8 of 20
Jay_B
in reply to: Pointdump

Agreed, which brings us back to Brian's question. Smiley Wink

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 9 of 20
AllenJessup

You can snap them to 3D points (endpoint, midpoint, vertex, etc.) using grips. You can snap to a 2D point using the .XY filter and provide a Z either through the keyboard or by snapping. You can edit the 3D polyline in the Properties palette.

There's also EDITFEATUREELEVS. That works on 3D polylines.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 20
jmayo-EE

Exactly Jay. If the OP wants LDD function then you should use LDD.

3D polylines are a Acad object. Civil 3D is designed to work best with Civil 3D objects.

The only time I use 3dpolys anymore is to quickly join them to Feature Lines or trace triangles in a tin to match an existing grade. Even if I do the tracing thing the 3d poly gets converted to a feature line. No lost time and much better editing abilities, don't have chorded curves, fewer surface errors due to abutting/crossing plines, etc.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 20
doni49

Hmmm.  I just tried it in C3D 2012.  I have a 3dPolyline.  Then I selected Modify>Elevation Editor.  When prompted to select an object, I selected the 3dPolyline.  It gave me an error message that the Selected entity must be of type: Feature Line, Auto Feature Line, Auto Corridor
Feature Line, Parcel Segment, Survey Figure.

ElevationEditor3dPoly.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 12 of 20
AllenJessup
in reply to: doni49

Same error in 2014. It looks like it doesn't work on 3D polylines.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 13 of 20
Jay_B
in reply to: doni49

@doni49 wrote:

Hmmm.  I just tried it in C3D 2012.  I have a 3dPolyline.  Then I selected Modify>Elevation Editor.  When prompted to select an object, I selected the 3dPolyline.  It gave me an error message that the Selected entity must be of type: Feature Line, Auto Feature Line, Auto Corridor
Feature Line, Parcel Segment, Survey Figure.

ElevationEditor3dPoly.png

@Anonymous wrote:

Dave,

The Editor, No it does not support 3d Poly's but hover your cursor over the icons to the right of the editor in your screen shot and there are many editing tools which do support 3d poly's. (How to videos for each of these commands are also included merely by hovering over the icons).

2014 returns the same error message. Smiley Wink

C3D 2018.1
C3D 2016 SP4

Message 14 of 20
doni49

Jay_B wrote:
@Anonymous wrote:

Dave,

2014 returns the same error message. Smiley Wink

Sorry Jay.  I must have totally overlooked your post when I posted that -- I'm really not sure why I didn't see it.  Smiley Embarassed

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 15 of 20
annw2
in reply to: wfberry

I tried that first and it refused to do anything with them.
Ann Wingert, P.E.
Message 16 of 20
Joe-Bouza

Hello Ann

I know you dont want a FL but yo can always explode one upon edit completion

Joe Bouza

EESignature

Message 17 of 20
wfberry

Ann:

I only tried one of the FL Icons that I have and it worked.  EDITFEATUREELEVS in 2015 is setup to work on 3D polys as well as FLs.

Bill

Message 18 of 20
tcorey

Ask a simple question and look at all the abuse you get. 😉 Just teasing, we all love our Civil 3D and do think you should consider giving feature lines a try.

but...

Have you seen in the Properties window of a 3d polyline how you can click the arrow to move vertext to vertex and set elevations there. Look for vertex number and notice when you click in the box that little arrows appear, allowing you to move to the next vertex. It's a way to do what you want, without resorting to going back to LDD.

Best regards,

Tim

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 19 of 20
Jeff_M
in reply to: tcorey

In same vein as Tim's suggestion, you can add the 3dPolyline to the QuickProperties objects and set it to show just the Vertex# and Vertex Z, making it quick to edit.

9-3-2014 7-47-44 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature
Message 20 of 20
Jeff_M
in reply to: wfberry

@Anonymous wrote:

Ann:

I only tried one of the FL Icons that I have and it worked.  EDITFEATUREELEVS in 2015 is setup to work on 3D polys as well as FLs.

Bill

Ann, I tested this in 2012, 2014, & 2015. It works just fine on 3dpoly's in all 3 versions. Can you be a bit more descriptive in how it doesn't work for you? Maybe copy-paste your command history?

9-3-2014 7-54-38 PM.png

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report