AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Expert Elite*
Jeff_M
Message 11 of 15 (446 Views)

Re: What do you add to your acaddoc.lsp?

08-20-2012 07:42 AM in reply to: LisaPohlmeyer

LisaPohlmeyer wrote:

Since the acaddoc.lsp file gets overwritten if I do a repair/re-install, I put all my settings in a acad.lsp and in the Options set it to load with every drawing.  I have my acad.lsp file stored on a network in my user folder, and I have that folder in my support paths.

Lisa, this file never gets altered by repair/reinstall/update (or it shouldn't, mine doesn't). Both acad.lsp and acaddoc.lsp files are for the sole use of end-users. The acad2***.lsp and acaddoc2***.lsp files DO get replaced and are highly recommended to avoid placing any customizations into becuase of that.

I've used the same acaddoc.lsp file for years (adding & removing things along the way) in my AcadLisp folder. This way I just need to add that folder to the support path whenever I get a new version.

Jeff_M, also a frequent Swamper
*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 12 of 15 (444 Views)

08-20-2012 07:49 AM in reply to: LisaPohlmeyer

LisaPohlmeyer wrote:

Since the acaddoc.lsp file gets overwritten if I do a repair/re-install, I put all my settings in a acad.lsp and in the Options set it to load with every drawing.  I have my acad.lsp file stored on a network in my user folder, and I have that folder in my support paths.

That is incorrect.

"acad.lsp" and "acaddoc.lsp" are USER files are will never be overwritten by AutoCAD.

You are thinking of "acad20xx.lsp" and "acad20xxdoc.lsp" - these are PROGRAM files and may be overwritten.

IMO - you should use "Acad.lsp" to load things [per session] and use "acaddoc.lsp" to load things [per drawing].

*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 13 of 15 (437 Views)

08-20-2012 08:10 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

"IMO - you should use "Acad.lsp" to load things [per session] and use "acaddoc.lsp" to load things [per drawing]."

That's how we do it. Although I have seen very little use for us in placing things in acad.lsp. All those things seem to work better for us if we force load them with each new dwg.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)
*Expert Elite*
rkmcswain
Message 14 of 15 (425 Views)

08-20-2012 09:14 AM in reply to: jmayo

johnm wrote:

..... I have seen very little use for us in placing things in acad.lsp.

Yes, it's fairly small. Generally, setting global variables that other routines need, setting the support file search path(s), setting registry saved setvars, and loading things that only need to be loaded once per session (mditabs.arx)

*Expert Elite*
jmayo
Message 15 of 15 (421 Views)

08-20-2012 09:26 AM in reply to: rkmcswain

Oh yes Randy there is a real need for that file just not in our small work environment with very few addon apps. I didn't mean to sound like acad.lsp is useless. The keywords were, 'for us'. :smileyhappy:

I could probably load pljoin in acad.lsp but it's easier for me to port, update, etc with only one file.

John Mayo, PE
IDSP 2014
Win 7 64, Xeon ES165@3.2Ghz,
64 GB RAM, Quadro K4000 (x2)
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.