Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Code Set Style you use to present the corridor in Plan drawing?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Olymplic
552 Views, 8 Replies

What Code Set Style you use to present the corridor in Plan drawing?

My project is finally coming to the final production stage. I used All Codes of Code Set Style for my corridors in the Plan drawing, but my boss want only to show the edges of travel way and the border line daylights. I am just curious how other people are presenting their corridor drawings? Anybody please kindly share some of your experience or post a screen shot would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
kclark138
in reply to: Olymplic

The key is the feature lines you set in your code style. I like to have all my standard elements in standard colors (red, yellow, green, etc). These elements are the face of curb, edge of pavement,.... All the other elements I put on a noprint layer. All my no print layers tend to be a color that is dark. Something that fades into the background.
Message 3 of 9
mstone

I typically don't show my corridor with a code set in the production drawings. It requires that the corridor be sampled at a high frequency to ensure the linework around curves looks correct and it also requires that the model be very precise. It is by far quicker to just draw the shoulders, edge of travelled way, etc by offsetting the centerline, especially if your job doesn't require a fine tuned surface model.

Also, at least in 2009, linetype generation does not work with the catchlines so I typically extract the daylight line from the corridor as a polyline, flatten it, and then show this as the toe in the production drawing. It's not dynamic, but the finish drawing looks better.

I guess I didn't really answer your question about code sets...other than reminding you that you don't have to use them at all in your production drawings.

--Matt
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

I agree with what Matt said with one exception, the daylight lines.
Obviously, these are not a typical offset. Use the code set style to turn
off all the features that are perpendicular to the alignment; links, points,
shapes. Then in the corridor properties dialog, Feature lines tab, turn off
everything you don't want to see. In my example I would leave all of the
daylight feature lines on.

Matt K

wrote in message news:6331843@discussion.autodesk.com...
I typically don't show my corridor with a code set in the production
drawings. It requires that the corridor be sampled at a high frequency to
ensure the linework around curves looks correct and it also requires that
the model be very precise. It is by far quicker to just draw the shoulders,
edge of travelled way, etc by offsetting the centerline, especially if your
job doesn't require a fine tuned surface model.

Also, at least in 2009, linetype generation does not work with the
catchlines so I typically extract the daylight line from the corridor as a
polyline, flatten it, and then show this as the toe in the production
drawing. It's not dynamic, but the finish drawing looks better.

I guess I didn't really answer your question about code sets...other than
reminding you that you don't have to use them at all in your production
drawings.

--Matt
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

To add to the previous statements, your best method may be to copy a Code
Set Style, change it to what you want. You can use and save variations of
your "styles" for production, then presentation versions.

Bill
Message 6 of 9
mstone

Matt K.,

I would like to use the dynamic toe lines from the corridor also, but we use dashes to represent cuts and dots for fill....are you able to get linetypes to generate correctly for the daylight line?

--Matt S.
Message 7 of 9
Olymplic

Thanks a lot everybody for sharing your expertise with me. Your help are greatly appreciated.

I like the idea of using different linetypes to present cut or fill. I have turned off everything but only kept ETW , EPS, Daylight Cut and Daylight Fill. The result I found the line of daylight cut and the line of daylight fill are not connected to each other. If I turn on the Daylight, then I have no way to distinguish where is cut and where is fill, the line of Daylight and the lines of Daylight Cut and Daylight Fill are overlapped. So how do you dealing with this issue?

Attached is a screen shot showing the daylight cut and daylight fill are not connected.
Message 8 of 9
mstone

The cut and fill lines will never actually connect. The gap you are seeing is based on your corridor frequency. If you set your frequency smaller (say 5 ft), there would still be a gap, but it wouldn't be as noticeable. Another reason why I typically extract the cut and fill lines from the corridor as a polyline, flatten (so linetype generation will work) and then connect the cut and fill lines manually.

--Matt S.
Message 9 of 9
klugb

See image.
Here is our workaround. We display the "daylight" with a dot linetype, "daylight-cut" with a "C" and long dash, "daylight-fill with a "F" and a short dash. There's some overlap, but it's not too bad.
It works pretty good you can see the cut and fill clearly and where theres a transition you get the dots, and it's all dynamic. If we could have another daylight feature that fills in the gap between cut & fill transitions then we would be very happy.
Bruce
Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report