Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What can't AutoCAD do with a Civil3D drawing?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
asloat
482 Views, 3 Replies

What can't AutoCAD do with a Civil3D drawing?

We have a number of AuotCAD2012 and Civil3D 2012 licenses, and instead of purchasing more Civil3D licenses we are thinking some users could simply use AutoCAD instead.

My question is are there any problems with this? Specifically if a drawing is made in Civil3D, will anything not work/display form it in AutoCAD and more importantly will anything break in it if someone opened it in AutoCAD and saved it there?

As far as design work goes, our survey side is working gin either Civil3D or Carlson to create surfaces and line work, so the existing surface could be an XML import or data shortcut, the points could be Civil3D or from the XML import, and the linework could be figures. On the Civil side all work is done in Civil3D, with some coming from older projects that predate that software. They use data shortcuts, design surfaces, alignments, corridors, C3D points, occasionally pipe networks, profiles, and assemblies.

Mostly I want to make sure that opening those drawings in AutoCAD won't break any objects if they save it, and that anything that was created is viewable.

Also if you happen to know if any issues are fixed in later versions that would be helpful.

Finally; are there any known issues with having both programs on one machine? I have the UI and profiles unique to both programs, so I don't think there is any problems.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
doni49
in reply to: asloat

I have never used Carlson or known anyone who did so I can't say anything about that. 

But if VANILLA Acad is used to open a file that contains C3D data, it will show the C3D data as long as your proxy settings are configured properly.  For example, the contours will display the same way they did the last time the file was opened (and saved) in C3D.  You just will not be able to change ANYTHING (not even colors -- unless the item is set to Bylayer then you change the layer's color) about the C3D data.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 4
michael.robertson

If you install the C3D object enabler on the Autocad only machines that will help as far as seeing the C3D objects correctly.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 4 of 4
Neilw_05

There are at least 2 things that could get you.

1) Be careful that the Autocad users do not save the C3D dwg to a different version as I believe that could cause certain C3D objects to become incompatible with your current version of C3D.

2) If you open a C3D dwg in plain Autocad with the appropriate Object Enabler installed, the C3D objects will display though they cannot be edited. However the objects can be exploded, so it is possible for an Autocad user to damage a C3D model.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report