Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

weird masking problem

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
nostupidquestions
387 Views, 16 Replies

weird masking problem

we've got point blocks with masks for our survey corners. up until today when the point comes in it brings in the symbol and the symbol masks the linework underneath. today it won't mask the linework but the blocks that we bring into paper space for our corner details do mask the linework underneath. as a workaround, i created a new drawing and blocked in the old survey with the same result. i then created a new drawing and copied and pasted everything into the new drawing with the same result. lastly, i created a new drawing, recreated athe points and copied and pasted just the linework with no points into the new drawing with the same results. i've got no problems in any of my other drawings, just this one. suggestions?

Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-2245 CPU @ 3.90GHz 3.91 GHz
64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
doni49
in reply to: nostupidquestions

Lets start with an easy thing to check.  Open your template file and run an AUDIT (tell it to fix issues).  Do the same for the survey file.

Any change?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 17

The only thing I can think of off-hand is to check DRAWORDERCTL.

If you create a new drawing and import the same points. Do the blocks mask correctly?

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 17
nostupidquestions
in reply to: doni49

no problems with either drawing. as a quick work around, i created masks around those corners and it works fine. something about the mask in the blocks that are in the point symbols in this particular drawing.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 5 of 17

i've gone through every iteration i can think of as far as creating new drawings short of redrawing the whole thing. i even tried again this morning thinking i just needed to reboot but no luck. 

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 6 of 17

this is an old problem going back several versions, it has to do with the order of creation of the linework and masks within the point block

do a seach on this forum and you will find the discussion.

I still run into it now and then on my drawings, I dont think it was ever solved but just some work arounds

Message 7 of 17

i remember there was an issue as to which order the mask and block were created to show up as a propserly masked point style. the point blocks work 99% of the time, just not in this drawing for some reason. my co-worker created the drawing originally but i got to finish it up. he's using a modified version of my template but even so, recreating the drawing with my tempate has the same results. i don't know if it's a setting on his computer, a bug in his compuer or a bug in the drawing.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 8 of 17
hencoop

Could it be something as simple as FILLMODE (Apply solid fill in OPTIONS)?

If not, what specifically are you using to do the masking?

AutoCAD User since 1989. Civil Engineering Professional since 1983
Product Ver.: 13.6.1781.0 Civil 3D 2024.3 Update
Built On:        U.152.0.0 AutoCAD 2024.1.2
                        27.0.37.14 Autodesk AutoCAD Map 3D 2024.0.1
                        8.6.52.0 AutoCAD Architecture 2024
Message 9 of 17
nostupidquestions
in reply to: hencoop

i'm using a wipeout to mask. it works everywhere but the points in model space in this drawing. i can do a wipeout in the drawing and it works. fillmode is set to 1. something about this drawing is causing the problem, something to do with the linework? 

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 10 of 17

When all else fails with a Draworder problem. I create a selection set of the entities (in your case the points), then I create a selection of ALL and remove the previous selection set (the points) and send every thing in the drawing to the Back. That will leave the points above everything else.

I know this shouldn't create results any different than bringing the points to the front. But sometimes it does.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 11 of 17
hencoop

Sometimes (still) wipeouts just don't and Draworder has been known to get broken.

Have you tired Recovering the drawing? (if you already said I can't remember)

Also,

Check the insertion Z-value.  That sometimes causes issues with masking and breaking (e.g., dimensions) and such.

If all else fails you can try a faded image (the heart of a wipeout is a faded image).

I've attached the one I've been using with a block to mask circles for about 15 years now.

I have also been plotting to a TIFF image exclusively for about the same time... it is all related to eliminating wipeout problems and simplifying plotting but that is another discussion.

Message 12 of 17
AllenJessup

Good call on the insertion Z. I'd totally neglected that.

Allen

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 13 of 17
hencoop

I forgot one other cause that I've seen.  The viewport may be corrupted.  The typical symptoms are unusual display problems that only happen in that viewport.  Even recover will not repair it if that's the problem.  The only solution I've found when this happens is to create a new viewport and delete the corrupted one.

Just record the viewport boindary, scale, center ((GETVAR "VIEWCTR") to use with zoom center), view twist if any ((GETVAR "VIEWTWIST") returns radians), and the layer state and recreating the viewport exactly as it was should be pretty easy.

Message 14 of 17
nostupidquestions

i checked th z value and they are 0. i created a new vp with the same result. thanks for all the help.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 15 of 17
hencoop

One last (I think) idea... is the viewport clipped? (sorry if you've already said this too, my memory isn't so good)
I've seen some unexpected behavior when a viewport is clipped and turning off or deleting the clipping cures it.
Message 16 of 17
nostupidquestions

nope. not clipped. it's just corrupt i guess. i was hoping it was some obscure setting somewhere.

64 GB RAM
C3D 2023.2
Message 17 of 17
hencoop

If its not too much trouble, I'd like to know if the block I posted will hide the linework in the problem viewport.  The image 1x1.bmp needs to be on your "AutoCAD Support File Search Path" or in your drawing folder for it to be loaded and seen in the block.

If it is too much trouble please disregard this.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report