AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Distinguished Contributor
chaz
Message 1 of 6 (81 Views)

Weird Issue Xref binding itslef to other obhects.

81 Views, 5 Replies
10-16-2013 07:37 AM

I have a very strange issue with an XREF. Its a CAD GIS file I am using for some basin study work. Somehow, it has bound itself to my main drawings utility (water) lines. If I go into the XREF root file, the water main is not present (and it shouldnt be) but it has somehow bound itself to that layer. I have tried changing the layer the XREF resides on with no success. Audit did nothing, and I am perplexed!

Any ideas welcome.

*Expert Elite*
troma
Message 2 of 6 (56 Views)

Re: Weird Issue Xref binding itslef to other obhects.

10-16-2013 12:03 PM in reply to: chaz

chaz wrote:

I have a very strange issue with an XREF. Its a CAD GIS file I am using for some basin study work. Somehow, it has bound itself to my main drawings utility (water) lines. [What does that mean?] If I go into the XREF root file, the water main is not present (and it shouldnt be) [so this is good then] but it has somehow bound itself to that layer. [What does that mean?] I have tried changing the layer the XREF resides on with no success. Audit did nothing, and I am perplexed!

Any ideas welcome.

Having trouble understanding what's going on for you.

Credit where credit is due! Give kudos or accept as solution whenever you can.

chaz
Message 3 of 6 (53 Views)

10-16-2013 12:12 PM in reply to: troma
OK, here is whats happening

Have a base map with
UTILITY MAINS
PAVEMENT

Have an XREF created after the base map that contains:
GIS TOPO
GIS ROADS

Now the UTILITY MAIN LAYER is "bound" the XREF when the XREF layer is thawed. So if I select the UTILITY MAIN linework, it selects the XREF file. When I freeze the XREF layer, bye bye UTILITY MAIN later. Delete the XREF and it take the UTILITY MAIN with it.
*Expert Elite*
wfberry
Message 4 of 6 (39 Views)

10-17-2013 06:10 AM in reply to: chaz

Your XREF is attached to your Utility layer.  Change it to perhaps the "0" layer.

Bill

chaz
Message 5 of 6 (38 Views)

10-17-2013 06:13 AM in reply to: wfberry
I checked that, it's on it's own layer independent from the utility layer. Regardless it shouldn't capture the line work. For instance, if I select a line on the utility layer, the serf gets picked as well.
Valued Mentor
gccdaemon
Message 6 of 6 (28 Views)

10-17-2013 06:44 AM in reply to: chaz

Sounds like a circular reference to me. Might want ot check x-refs and make sure they're set to overlay.

Andrew Ingram

Civil 3D x64 2012
Win 7 x64 Ultimate
I7 3820 (3.6ghz quad core with HT)
32gig RAM (Corsair XMS3 4x8g)
Intel x z79 mobo (BOXDX79TO 2011 socket)
Radeon HD 7850 2gb GDDR5
Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.