Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Issue Xref binding itslef to other obhects.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Chaznsc
215 Views, 5 Replies

Weird Issue Xref binding itslef to other obhects.

I have a very strange issue with an XREF. Its a CAD GIS file I am using for some basin study work. Somehow, it has bound itself to my main drawings utility (water) lines. If I go into the XREF root file, the water main is not present (and it shouldnt be) but it has somehow bound itself to that layer. I have tried changing the layer the XREF resides on with no success. Audit did nothing, and I am perplexed!

Any ideas welcome.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
troma
in reply to: Chaznsc

@chaz wrote:

I have a very strange issue with an XREF. Its a CAD GIS file I am using for some basin study work. Somehow, it has bound itself to my main drawings utility (water) lines. [What does that mean?] If I go into the XREF root file, the water main is not present (and it shouldnt be) [so this is good then] but it has somehow bound itself to that layer. [What does that mean?] I have tried changing the layer the XREF resides on with no success. Audit did nothing, and I am perplexed!

Any ideas welcome.

Having trouble understanding what's going on for you.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 3 of 6
Chaznsc
in reply to: troma

OK, here is whats happening

Have a base map with
UTILITY MAINS
PAVEMENT

Have an XREF created after the base map that contains:
GIS TOPO
GIS ROADS

Now the UTILITY MAIN LAYER is "bound" the XREF when the XREF layer is thawed. So if I select the UTILITY MAIN linework, it selects the XREF file. When I freeze the XREF layer, bye bye UTILITY MAIN later. Delete the XREF and it take the UTILITY MAIN with it.
Message 4 of 6
wfberry

Your XREF is attached to your Utility layer.  Change it to perhaps the "0" layer.

Bill

Message 5 of 6
Chaznsc
in reply to: wfberry

I checked that, it's on it's own layer independent from the utility layer. Regardless it shouldn't capture the line work. For instance, if I select a line on the utility layer, the serf gets picked as well.
Message 6 of 6
gccdaemon

Sounds like a circular reference to me. Might want ot check x-refs and make sure they're set to overlay.

Andrew Ingram
Civil 3D x64 2019
Win 10 x64 Pro
Intel Xeon E5-1620
32 GB Ram

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report