AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

*Don Reichle
Message 1 of 22 (97 Views)

We must be in shock, after today's Webcast

97 Views, 21 Replies
03-18-2005 10:41 AM
I really would have expected to see more posts, after the end of the show. I know I can't wait for the middle of April to arrive. Well done, folks. For the next webcast, would it be possible to have the data reside on a network, as is the case in most of our shops, for ease of Data Backup purposes. That way we could get a RealWorld example to use in comparing Granny Smiths with Fujis, instead of Navels. TIA -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WINXP SP2 Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel 1.0GB RAM Radeon X300 128MB PCI
Active Contributor
rwhitlock
Message 2 of 22 (97 Views)

Re: We must be in shock, after today's Webcast

03-18-2005 11:40 AM in reply to: *Don Reichle
I was very impressed with what the Adesk folks have accomplished. Congratulations to the programmers, Dave S, Dan P., and the collection of toilers who have put together (finally) a true design package. I would be anxious to see additional webcasts which deal with more "in-depth" use of the new modelling features. There's a lot of new menu items to work through - a long learning curve ahead.

WINXP SP2
Dell 2.0 Ghz P4 Intel
1.0GB RAM
Radeon 64 MB PCI
LDD 2005 / Civil 3D 2005
Distinguished Contributor
Nick_Merchant
Message 3 of 22 (97 Views)

03-18-2005 12:39 PM in reply to: *Don Reichle
I was in a meeting and missed it.

What were the highlights? What impressed you?
*Chris Alley
Message 4 of 22 (97 Views)

03-18-2005 12:39 PM in reply to: *Don Reichle
Very impressive. The Pipeworks feature is just phenomenal. I think what they have created in terms of pipe layout and drafting (both plan and profile) and having true 3D capability in order to find conflicts has finally come to fruition. Based on what I have seen and my imagination on what I can do with those tools, I would guess that feature alone will reduce my time by AT LEAST half when it comes to sanitary sewer designs. Once you get your styles set the way you want them to be displayed, it's really just a matter of getting your layout done and tweaking your vertical design. Also, the ability to reference design items such as alignments, profiles, surfaces, etc. into a drawing for display purposes but not editable is another great feature. Basically brings everything in like an XREF. Again, very, very impressive stuff. "Nick_Merchant" wrote in message news:7866509.1111178410610.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >I was in a meeting and missed it. > > What were the highlights? What impressed you?
*Don Reichle
Message 5 of 22 (97 Views)

03-18-2005 01:13 PM in reply to: *Don Reichle
What impressed me (how long ya got?)... 1.. Reference Sharing while retaining Dynamic features 2.. Ability to have more than one operator producing production drawings from design 3.. Dynamic Superelevation Diagrams as part of Profile View 4.. Dynamic Pipe Networks 5.. Curvilinear Pipe Runs 6.. 3D Pipe Networks with Rendering capability for all parts of the Network - implied visual checking for "Banging" pipes 7.. Ability to specify Assembly pieces by stationing range - example of a section of AC Berm in the midst of otherwise continuous curb and gutter for knockout as needed when future phase of development occurs 8.. Dynamic Ability of Rims/Grates to reset themselves when told to do so (for now) as the Finish Grade is revised (Aw c'mon, that never happens!) 9.. The audience attendance count reaching a total of 203! It seems there's some interest out there in what is happening here. -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WINXP SP2 Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel 1.0GB RAM Radeon X300 128MB PCI "Chris Alley" wrote in message news:423b3ef5$1_2@newsprd01... > Very impressive. The Pipeworks feature is just phenomenal. I think what > they have created in terms of pipe layout and drafting (both plan and > profile) and having true 3D capability in order to find conflicts has > finally come to fruition. Based on what I have seen and my imagination on > what I can do with those tools, I would guess that feature alone will reduce > my time by AT LEAST half when it comes to sanitary sewer designs. Once you > get your styles set the way you want them to be displayed, it's really just > a matter of getting your layout done and tweaking your vertical design. > Also, the ability to reference design items such as alignments, profiles, > surfaces, etc. into a drawing for display purposes but not editable is > another great feature. Basically brings everything in like an XREF. Again, > very, very impressive stuff. > > "Nick_Merchant" wrote in message > news:7866509.1111178410610.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >>I was in a meeting and missed it. >> >> What were the highlights? What impressed you? > >
*Kaai
Message 6 of 22 (97 Views)

03-18-2005 01:25 PM in reply to: *Don Reichle
Civil 3D 2006 seems like an improvement over 2005, but it still seems like a work in progress. Much better than LDD for civil design work IMO. Pipeworks is a definite plus. As is the improved multi user environment. "Nick_Merchant" wrote in message news:7866509.1111178410610.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > I was in a meeting and missed it. > > What were the highlights? What impressed you?
*Neil W
Message 7 of 22 (97 Views)

03-18-2005 05:39 PM in reply to: *Don Reichle
My supervisor asked if the new C3D has hydrology and pipe network modeling. "Don Reichle" wrote in message news:423b2172_3@newsprd01... I really would have expected to see more posts, after the end of the show. I know I can't wait for the middle of April to arrive. Well done, folks. For the next webcast, would it be possible to have the data reside on a network, as is the case in most of our shops, for ease of Data Backup purposes. That way we could get a RealWorld example to use in comparing Granny Smiths with Fujis, instead of Navels. TIA -- Don Reichle "King Of Work-Arounds" LDT3 - SP1/CD3 - SP1 On WINXP SP2 Dell 3.0 Ghz P4 Intel 1.0GB RAM Radeon X300 128MB PCI
Distinguished Contributor
mscacco
Message 8 of 22 (97 Views)

03-18-2005 09:30 PM in reply to: *Don Reichle
No hydrologic or hydraulic calculation features in this one. However, LandXML files can be imported from third-party apps.

Mark Scacco
Civil 3D Tech Tour coming soon to a venue near you.
*Terry W. Dotson
Message 9 of 22 (97 Views)

03-19-2005 07:38 AM in reply to: *Don Reichle
Don Reichle wrote: > I know I can't wait for the middle of April to arrive. So with all this positive momentum, can we expect an equally impressive Survey module for C3D 2006? > ... comparing Granny Smiths with Fujis, instead of Navels. I prefer Fujis. Terry
*Don Reichle
Message 10 of 22 (97 Views)

03-21-2005 07:58 AM in reply to: *Don Reichle
Hey Terry; Granny Smiths rule! And where do you think all the Subscription resources have been going for the past five years? Certainly not into LDT - just count all the improvements made to the old dinosaur during that time. Don Reichle "KOWA" "Terry W. Dotson" wrote in message news:423c4784$1_3@newsprd01... > Don Reichle wrote: > >> I know I can't wait for the middle of April to arrive. > > So with all this positive momentum, can we expect an equally impressive > Survey module for C3D 2006? > > > ... comparing Granny Smiths with Fujis, instead of Navels. > > I prefer Fujis. > > Terry
Post to the Community

Have questions about Autodesk products? Ask the community.

New Post
Announcements
Do you have 60 seconds to spare? The Autodesk Community Team is revamping our site ranking system and we want your feedback! Please click here to launch the 5 question survey. As always your input is greatly appreciated.