Valued Mentor
dmartin
Message 1 of 8 (661 Views)
Accepted Solution

Washout an aerial Image

661 Views, 7 Replies
07-01-2013 11:01 AM

All,

Is it possible to washout an image with civil 3d 2013? We have a black and white printer and i need to fade an aerial out so that the text will be visable.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
ATI FirePro V5700(FireGL)
Win 7 Home Professional
Please use Kudos Where Deserved

Use layer transparency.

If you only need to provide more contrast with text and linework without making it transparent you can use Image Adjust to lighten the image. Select the image frame, right click and you should see Adjust in the pop up (or use the ribbon). Slide the adjuster toward Lighten to lighten the image.

Be aware that when you lighten the image it will actually look darker in Autocad but when printed it will be lighter. You'll need to run a print or 2 to check your settings.

Another option is to create a "No-Plot" color with 0% shading and assign that color to the text. So then the text prints "white". I find that to be more visible than black text when working with an aerial.

Allen Jessup

*Expert Elite*
TRogers
Message 2 of 8 (649 Views)

Re: Washout an aerial Image

07-01-2013 11:58 AM in reply to: dmartin

Use layer transparency.

If the issue was resolved by this method, please click on "Accept As Solution"
*Civil 3DJ*
Todd Rogers

Visit my blog here.

Valued Mentor
dmartin
Message 3 of 8 (645 Views)

07-01-2013 12:09 PM in reply to: TRogers

I will be trieng this sometime soon today and let you know how it turns out. thanks for the response.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

*Expert Elite*
Neilw
Message 4 of 8 (638 Views)

07-01-2013 12:25 PM in reply to: dmartin

If you only need to provide more contrast with text and linework without making it transparent you can use Image Adjust to lighten the image. Select the image frame, right click and you should see Adjust in the pop up (or use the ribbon). Slide the adjuster toward Lighten to lighten the image.

Be aware that when you lighten the image it will actually look darker in Autocad but when printed it will be lighter. You'll need to run a print or 2 to check your settings.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
Infrastructure Suite/C3D 2013, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 7 64 PRO
HP Pavillion h8xt, i7 2600, 12 GB
RADEON 6450, 1 GB
http://www.sec-landmgt.com
*Expert Elite*
antoniovinci
Message 5 of 8 (609 Views)

07-01-2013 01:49 PM in reply to: dmartin

Or, without touching the image, you can simply bring to front all your texts (command _DRAWORDER), then you enhance 'em thru the powerful _TEXTMASK command.

*Expert Elite*
AllenJessup
Message 6 of 8 (529 Views)

09-09-2013 12:03 PM in reply to: dmartin

Another option is to create a "No-Plot" color with 0% shading and assign that color to the text. So then the text prints "white". I find that to be more visible than black text when working with an aerial.

Allen Jessup

Valued Mentor
dmartin
Message 7 of 8 (524 Views)

09-09-2013 12:09 PM in reply to: AllenJessup

All,

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up using Neils solution for my drawing, but the logic in most of these appears to be a suitable solution. I apologise for leaving this post open so long, I kind of forgot about it.

Thanks,
Dave

Civil 3D 2013
HP Z400 Workstation
6GB of RAM
296GB HDD
Win 7 Home Professional

*Expert Elite*
doni49
Message 8 of 8 (497 Views)

09-09-2013 01:55 PM in reply to: dmartin

I know you said that you've already got what you need.  But I thought I'd offer one more alternative for future reference.

I frequently use aerial maps and while I want be able to see and read the text, I also need to the see the map.  There've been several occasions that the portion of the map that would've been lost was very important.

So what I did was create a rectangle with a solid hatch pattern.  The hatch pattern was set to a 30% screening value and 60% transparent.  Then I placed my BLACK text on top of the hatch pattern.  This way, I could read the text just fine, but I could also see the underlying map.

Just another option.

I can't find one of the drawings where I actually did this but here's a sample using the same technique.  Of course, you can play with diff combinations of transparency/screening values for the hatch as well as changing the color/font of the text to make it all show up the way you want.

TextOverAerial.png

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Forum links:
AutoCAD 2013/2014/2015
AutoCAD 2010/2011/2012

AutoLISP, VB and other AutoCAD customization

Civil 3D General
Civil 3d Cusomization

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.