Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volumes above / below a Datum

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
999 Views, 7 Replies

Volumes above / below a Datum

Does anyone know how to obtain volumes above / below a Datum, in C3D 2007 ?
Say, for example, I need to know the volume between 0m and -1m or 0m to + 1m within a Tin Volume model (sorry, Surface !)

TIA

Alan Richards
Engineering Design Manager
Woodford Group plc
PRESTON - UK

C3D 2007 w/ Subscription + SP3
Dell Precsion 670
Xeon at 3ghz
4gb mem
Nvidea Quadro FX 4400 / 512mb
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

You could do an elevation analysis table of your TIN volume surface. Not
completely automatic, but very functional. You'll have to do a little bit
of math, still.

wrote in message news:5520642@discussion.autodesk.com...
Does anyone know how to obtain volumes above / below a Datum, in C3D 2007 ?
Say, for example, I need to know the volume between 0m and -1m or 0m to + 1m
within a Tin Volume model (sorry, Surface !)
Message 3 of 8
Civil3D Groupies

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for:

You could go to edits and use the 'raise/lower' option to get a surface -1m below. Create another surface if you need one at +1m, etc.

Then use the surface volumes, base and comparison to get what you want.
Message 4 of 8
mmccall

I'm with TomD. Setup an elevation analysis on the analysis tab of the surface properties. Set two ranges. Edit the default min./max. range elevations.(-1 to 0, 0 to 1) The preview window will show a table that you can place on the plan. This preview is the actual table that will be created. The values shown are real. Edit the table style to show surface range volumes. You can either write down the volumes shown in the preview or add this table to the plan.
Message 5 of 8
Civil3D Groupies

That's a good idea.

I had not thought of doing it that way.

Thanks
Message 6 of 8
AussieHans

I have created a user contour once at the full level of a dam, exploded it and used the polyline from this contour to create a surface, then defined a volume surface from the dam floor and this surface. Didn't know better at the time, but it worked.
Message 7 of 8
ekubaskie

What I think you really need here is to convert the volume surface to a standard TIN surface.

Contour the volume surface with a small contour interval, explode it (twice, of course) and use the resulting contour polylines as contours in a TIN surface definition. What you end up with is a surface where every elevation is the cut/fill value from your original volume surface - but the new surface is a normal TIN surface that can be used to create further volume surfaces.

I used a variation of this last fall to generate volumes for finished-grade cuts of bedrock - starting with a number of points that were the measured depth from EG to bedrock. When bidding a job, it's nice to know how much excavation needs blasting!
Message 8 of 8

Hi 

Can any one give me step by step instructions on how to Edit the table style to show surface range volumes civil cad.

Thanks 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report