Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume tables and calcs

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
jmayo-EE
542 Views, 11 Replies

Volume tables and calcs

Using the Stanrdard styles for Takeoff and Total Volume table, why do I have a negative net value when it is clearly fill? In the Materials tab of the Sample Line Group Properties I have the EG as EG and the FG as Datum.

John Mayo

EESignature

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
doni49
in reply to: jmayo-EE

John,

Several of your stations have a considerably higher cut number as compared to the fill number.  That would effect the net amount.

EDIT:  I just looked at the table again and realized my response is wrong.  I thought you were talking about an overall net value.

VolumeTableJMayo.png

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 3 of 12
doni49
in reply to: doni49

John,

The numbers themselves look right but they're showing negative for some reason.

Notice the second station.  Net Vol is exactly the same as the fill value.

Then look at the next line.  ADD the fill value from above to the fill volume of this line.  Then subtract the cut value.  Again it's the same as the net volume except it should be positive instead of negative.

Are your tables defined to put a hyphen in front of the number?  Or show the negative?

Don Ireland

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 4 of 12
doni49

John,

One more thing:  there seems to be a rounding issue somewhere.

Take a look at the following.  I typed the first two columns in based on your image.  Then the other three columns are just excel formulas to calc the values.  With the exception of being positive where yours are negative, mine are all within a couple 100ths of your values.

VolumeTableJMayoExcel.png

Don Ireland

Message 5 of 12
doni49

@Anonymous wrote:

Using the Stanrdard styles for Takeoff and Total Volume table, why do I have a negative net value when it is clearly fill? In the Materials tab of the Sample Line Group Properties I have the EG as EG and the FG as Datum.

I think that might be it (I'd still like to know what's going on with that rounding issue as mentioned below).  Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "Dataum" "something to measure against"?  I think the EG should be Datum.  And I don't see a place to enter EG in that tab.

Don Ireland

Message 6 of 12
jmayo-EE

Here's more of that table showing the cut as positive...

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 7 of 12
jmayo-EE

I was thinking that but the look at the default...It tell me to assign EG and a datum...

And this doesn't explain why the cummulative numbers are correct but the net come out wrong.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
jmayo-EE

Oh and the EG you see in that image displays in every template even if there is no surface named EG.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 9 of 12
jmayo-EE

Or the fact that the correct material style is assigned in the sections...

I'ma buggin'

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 10 of 12
jmayo-EE

No hyphens. Set to Always Sign.

John Mayo

EESignature

Message 11 of 12

Doesn't fill indicate you are short of dirt, hence the negative number? You'd have to add dirt in order to get to zero. If it was cut it would be positive where you'd need to subtract a value for export to get to a zero value.

Civil Reminders
http://blog.civil3dreminders.com/
http://www.CivilReminders.com/
Alumni
Message 12 of 12

So my glass is half full not half empty...

John Mayo

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report