Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Reports

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
Yellow600
418 Views, 3 Replies

Volume Reports

Hello,

I found one other issue on the forum about this topic but I was unable to solve the issue.  I attached my drawing for reference.  Basically, I have a small pond that we are re working.  It has an 8" wide retaining wall and then it drops from elevation 8.50' to 4.25 to the bottom.  We want to create a volume report showing volumes for every one foot.  My question is.... Is there any volume command that can easily do this?  My coworker said use the grading tools, but I was unable to even build the pond using grading tools, it would not give me a verticle drop for the wall (I used feature lines with elevations and offsets).  Please let me know what you come up with.  Hoping for a simple solution.

THANKS!!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
KirkNoonan
in reply to: Yellow600

Make a second, flat surface at your top elevation and then generate a volume surface from the two. After that there are many methods, but I like to use the analysis found in the surface properties dialog. You can create an elevation analysis type that will show the volumes at whatever increment you want and insert a dynamic table into your drawing. Edit the elevation table style and change the color value to volume to see what I mean. Just be aware that the volume surface depicts cut as a negative elevation and fill as positive, so you will need to adjust the numbers to match the actual stage elevation in your pond.

You can also use the same analysis on your pond surface without going through the steps of generating the volume surface, but scrutinize the numbers closely as it is sometimes inaccurate.

There is also a pond volume tool, but I wouldn't recommend that.

volume.PNG

Volume2.PNG

Message 3 of 4
tcorey

Build a surface of the pond and use the Stage Storage tool.

Analyze tab of the Ribbon, expand the Design panel, bottom option.

When creating the surface for the pond, do not attempt to make a vertical drop for the retaining wall. Offset it very slightly, like a hundredth or so. Civil 3D does not support vertical faces in surfaces.

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 4 of 4
Yellow600

Thanks! I have been in a few meetings today and read both responses which seem great.  I will dive into it in a bit or tomorrow mornging and let you know where i'm at or if any problems came up.  Thanks for your help!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report