Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume of Fill

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
SeattleCADD
427 Views, 4 Replies

Volume of Fill

Hello!

Could some one please help me with this:

I have an existing survey surface, and I want to know how much cubic yard of materials to fill up from the bottom to elevation 876. See attached image for detail. Here is what i am going to do and please correct me if my way is right way to do or not:

- i will create a surface of the fill area (from bottom cotours up to el 876) then do a volume surface bwt existing ground surface and the new fill area surface to get the volume of it? Is this a right way to do?

Thanks and Regards.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: SeattleCADD

If the finished surface is all at 876 then extract the 876 contour and use that as a breakline/boundary in a new surface then volume surface with EG as base and 876 surface as comparison.

OR

draw a rectangle at 876, create a surface from it and use this as the comparison surface (possible easier as no triangles to trim out on concave areas)

OR

You could also draw a rough pline around the 876 contour and run reportsurfboundedvolume with the pline as the boundary and specify a datum of 876.

Incidentally at the top left of the screendump the contours appear to drop down to around 873.5 in which case this will be calculated with a vertical "cookie cut edge" which may or may not affect the volume greatly

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 5
SeattleCADD
in reply to: neilyj666

Please patience with me as i am a new in C3D.

"draw a rectangle at 876, create a surface from it and use this as the comparison surface (possible easier as no triangles to trim out on concave areas)"

You meant: draw a rough pline around 876, create a surface from this contour line and do a volume surface with EG as base and surface 876 as comparation? i am not understanding? Keep in mind that i want to know the volume of fill material FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE EG surface (el 873) UP TO EL 876?

Please help!

Message 4 of 5
SeattleCADD
in reply to: SeattleCADD

Please see attached for better understanding my question. Thanks,

Message 5 of 5

Yup - I would do the second option.

Draw a feature line, elevation = 876 around your area of interest but slightly larger.

Create a surface

Select the featureline, right click and add to surface as breakline.

Analyze/Volumes, selecting your EG as the base and your 876 elevation surface as the compare. Ignore any cut values.

Eric Collins, P.Tech.(Eng.)

Win 10
Intel i7 9700 @ 3 GHz
16 GB RAM
Civil 3D 2019

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report