Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume of a single surface?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
rhdins
1823 Views, 11 Replies

Volume of a single surface?

I have a single surface, a pond, that I want to calculate the volume of.  Is there a way I can have Civil3D tell me the volume of a single surface, without a comparison surface?

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: rhdins

Not really.......as what would you be calculating the volume of?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 3 of 12
rhdins
in reply to: neilyj666

I understand that without a comparison surface C3D does not know where to calculate to, but... when I'm doing a simple pond with a top elevation and a bottom elevation, it would be nice to just get a rough idea of the volume without having to make a top of water surface, or measuring the area of the top and bottom and calculating the volume myself.  There's got to be an easy way to do this, right??

Message 4 of 12
troma

It is not too hard to make a top surface.
Just make it as one big rectangle. I'd make a polyline at the elevation, and build from that.
Then do the volume comparison:

Base = Pond
Comparison = Water top
Ignore the cut values. The Fill is your water.

If you'd still like a better way, please add your vote to this idea:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/autocad-civil-3d-ideastation/dynamic-stage-storage-object/idi-p/557825...

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 5 of 12
neilyj666

There is also the method of calculating a volume  from a datum elevation - I think it is command line only though; reportsurfboundedvolume but may need a volume surface to work?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 12
Neilw_05

Have you looked at the Stage Storage tool? It reports pond storage volumes at specified depth increments. The tool is found on the Design panel of the Analyze Tab (see the pull down on the panel). See also StageStorage in the help system.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 7 of 12
Joe-Bouza

Igo with @troma's suggestion. its easy enough. And @Neilw_05's suggestion for Stage store is a goody too. you have many options

Your Name

Your Name

EESignature

Message 8 of 12
Jerry_Barnes
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

Stage Storage is the ticket. It's quick and easy, generates incremental and accumulative volumes from an existing surface or just from polylines at elevation if you want. No need for a second comparison surface. It generates a report instantly as well. You can choose to calculate volumes using Average End Area or Conic Incremental methods, or both.

Message 9 of 12
troma
in reply to: Jerry_Barnes

I've learned to be mistrustful of Stage Storage. It calculates from contours, not from the TIN. The precision of calculation depends on the precision of the contours in your surface style.
When I had my contours set to 0.50m I was not happy at all with the volumes that the stage storage tool calculated. I actually had to put them to the mm (yes that's 0.001m contours) to get a volume result close to what a TIN volume surface calculated.

It also has trouble if there's more than one depression in the pond bottom. It really doesn't seem to know how to calculate that.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 10 of 12
neilyj666
in reply to: troma

I haven't had any success with Stage Storage in the past so I never used it since....:)

EESignature

Message 11 of 12
Neilw_05
in reply to: troma

I've not used it in a real world project. It's good to know there are problems with it. Looks like another half baked tool.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 12 of 12
inproconsultca
in reply to: Neilw_05

I have two ponds in a surface. The stage storage reports on of them 😞 Is there a way this command reports both?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report