Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

volume from surfaces

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
acherry
385 Views, 4 Replies

volume from surfaces

i'm jumping into 3d late in life...playing with volumes. i've created surfaces from aerial surveys and have saved the surfaces as separate files. i would now like to run volumes of the two as they represent the same quarry site from different years. it appears (?) i need to have both surfaces listed in prospector to run volumes. each separate file has its own surface listed. question...how do i get (import?) the second surface drawing into one of the files so i have both listed and can run volumes? i see where i can create a surface from importing a .tin file...but i don't see how to export the surface as a .tin file. hoping one of you jockeys can provide assistance. thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
sboon
in reply to: acherry

Both surfaces have to be in the same drawing in order to be able to do volumes.  In your case the surfaces were created in separate drawings.  Civil 3d has a tool called a data shortcut (also known as a DRef) which is similar to an XRef but specifically for Civil 3d data.  There is a series of tutorials available to show you how to set up and use them.

http://docs.autodesk.com/CIV3D/2012/ENU/filesCTU/GUID-68AC7599-F635-4391-9F9A-6E9EF96F9ED-102.htm

Steve
Expert Elite Alumnus
Message 3 of 5
neilyj666
in reply to: acherry

As might be expected there are multitudinous ways to achieve the same thing in Civil 3D - the route you take depends on what you want to do with the data etc.

Whilst data shortcuts are useful in many situations (and remain dynamic to the originals) they do need to be set up correctly and if this is just a one off calculation, then exporting via XML and importing the XML may be simpler.

You can also extract the 3D triangles from one drawing and copy/paste them into the other drawing and then build a surface from these triangles.

I'm not sure that C3D supports the export of .TIN files (may be wrong) but in short data shortcuts retain the dynamic data links whillst the other methods do not.

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 5
acherry
in reply to: sboon

Thanks for your response. I'll view the tutorials.
Message 5 of 5
acherry
in reply to: neilyj666

Thank you! the simple solution WAS to export the surface as an .xml file and then to import it into the 2012 surface. This 3d stuff is pretty cool. Now I'm off to corridors. Thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report