Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Figure is inverted, is it correct?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
cristian.leon.gonzalez
245 Views, 1 Reply

Volume Figure is inverted, is it correct?

Hello Everyone

I have an issue with volume calculation.  In a valley, i need to put a dam for a reservoir (i hope i'm using the correct technical terms)

1.png

2a.png

then, i need to know the volume of it and i used the Civil3D tool for it.  as expected, it generates a new volume, but the shape of it makes me doubt about its results

3c.png

4a.png

4b.png

as you can observe above, the two shapes are not the same... I expected a dam like shape but it results inverted.  I can imagine its because a surface is not a closed volume, so Civil 3D needs to adjust it's shapes so it can be a civil 3d acceptable shape, but with the volume result, i'm not sure about its magnitude.

Does anyone have an issue like this? have someone verifed (with a third opinion or (even better) the experience) if the civil 3d volume calculation volume match with other calculus or reallity?

i'll appreciate your opinions.

thanks in advance

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2

Hi,

So to back check your volume calculation or shape of volume surface & magnitude (if I understood correctly)

You can create a sample lines on alignment (which you may have along the dam) and add earthworks in materialist with (comparing two surfaces compared in volume surface).
Create the sections in which you see the hatches which will show the volume calculations.

If you are looking for solid between dam surface and valley surface, which will also give you volume then there is another way to create it.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Now

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report