Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume Comparison for New Clearwell

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
514 Views, 13 Replies

Volume Comparison for New Clearwell

I have a fairly level existing site where a proposed new circular clearwell is going to be built. The contractor will need to excavate roughly 20 feet down to bottom slab elevation and slope excavation slopes at a 1.5:1. 

My question is, What would be the best way to determine how much soil will be leftover after exvation, construction, and finished grade is established?

My goal is to be able to create a comparison volume surface between excavation and finsihed grades, but I need to account for the volume of the clearwell. I have attached an image of the preliminary site.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
tcorey
in reply to: Anonymous

The contractor will excavate using 1.5:1 slopes, but the well will be built with vertical slopes and then you will backfill from the 1.5:1 slopes to the vertical slopes? Am I understanding you correctly? And you want to know the volume of that backfill?

Tim Corey
MicroCAD Training and Consulting, Inc.
Redding, CA
Autodesk Gold Reseller

New knowledge is the most valuable commodity on earth. -- Kurt Vonnegut
Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: tcorey

Yes that is correct. Finished grade around the clearwell is the same elevation grading out to exisitng ground. I have an excavated surface and finished grade surface now but when I compare them it wdoesnt take into account the volume of the clearwell underground.

Message 4 of 14
wfberry

Are you asking how to calculate the volume of a cylinder?

Bill

Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Couldnt you just create a volume surface between the excavated surface and the finished surface, then apply a "hide" surface boundary (the extent of the clearwell) to the volume surface? 

Message 6 of 14
neilyj666

And do a check as suggested by Bill to see if it is correct?

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks Luke that was the trick. What would be the best way to "check" it to make sure?

Message 8 of 14
neilyj666

Refer to my reply

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: neilyj666

I understand how to calculate the volume of cylinder. See the image attached.

I am trying to find the best way to use a comparison surface to find the amount of fill it will require to complete the grading. 

Message 10 of 14
neilyj666

Are you trying to find the volume of the red area?

2014-09-12 14_34_03-Capture.PNG (PNG Image, 786 × 413 pixels).jpg

EESignature

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous

Yes that is correct. I have a surface for the excavation and for the proposed grading.

Message 12 of 14
neilyj666

Add the clearwell boundary circle as a hide boundary (non destructive) to both the excavation and proposed surfaces and then do a volume surface or just a simple comparison.

Use MAPCLEAN to convert the circle to a polyline and use a small mid ordinate when adding to surfaces

EESignature

Message 13 of 14
neilyj666

Although may be better practice to paste the excavation and proposed surfaces to new surfaces and then add the hide boundaries to these copied surfaces. Any changes to the excavation or proposed surfaces will then be dynamically updated as will the volumes

EESignature

Message 14 of 14
Anonymous

Yeah thats exactly what I did, and the number is reasonable, I'm just not sure the best way to check that value (or a good way to view that comparison surface).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report