Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

volume calculation??

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
thanhtike.myn
407 Views, 4 Replies

volume calculation??

In order to compute volume, shall we have at least 2 suface or possible to compute without any comparison surface?

Thanhtike

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: thanhtike.myn

Essentially yes, you need two surfaces.  For example, you can have an existing grade and then use say a building pad outline as a feature line and grade to an existing surface which will create a new surface in order to do volume calculations hence the second surface.  I am currently working on a building pad that I am setting an elevation to 1000' and I have contours that I of the existing grade (above and below 1000').  I created a surface from the contours to create my existing grade surface (surface 1). Then my pad outline (simple 20 x 20 square) was drawn using a polyline then converted to a feature line.  Assigned an elevation to the feature line.  Then used grading tools to set a grading group and gave it a target surface which will ask if this will be for volume and check the box to essentially agree.  Then a surface tin box appears to create surface 2.  I would look at a tutorial for a better explanation. 

Message 3 of 5
Neilw_05
in reply to: Anonymous

If you want to use C3D to compute volumes you will need 2 surfaces, but you can also get volumes from 3D linework using basic Autocad.

You don't have to have an existing ground surface to get volumes in C3D. For example if you want to calculate the volume of a cube, you could create a surface representing the top of the cube and a surface representing the sides and bottom. The volume would be the difference between the top surface vs. the sides and bottom surface.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com
Message 4 of 5
thanhtike.myn
in reply to: Neilw_05

yes,thats why i asked we must have 2 surfaces even in one object ,right? we have to create 2 surfaces like top surface and other one. 

Message 5 of 5
Neilw_05
in reply to: thanhtike.myn

As I said, you will need 2 Civil 3D surfaces to compute TIN volumes, but Autocad will report the volume of 3D objects such as spheres, cubes or surfaces created from meshes etc.

Neil Wilson (a.k.a. neilw)
AEC Collection/C3D 2024, LDT 2004, Power Civil v8i SS1
WIN 10 64 PRO

http://www.sec-landmgt.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report