Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Volume calculation for 3D Faces object

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
RalphBrown99
2110 Views, 6 Replies

Volume calculation for 3D Faces object

Hi:

I have a volume in my CAD file described by 3D Faces. Is there anyway to know what is the volume of this volume -that represents an open pit-?

Every time that I do a volume I do by the comparison of 2 surfaces but this is not the case now.

Thanks in advance

Rafael

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
dgordon
in reply to: RalphBrown99

in order to get the volume of a pond for instance if it is filled to elevation 979.00

a flat surface using a rectangle with elevation 979 which is larger than the pond is used to compare to the pond surface.

does this make sense?

Dan

Civil 3D 2013
Win 7 Pro x64
Intel Xeon 2.0GHz
12Gb Ram
ATI Firepro 4800
Dell T5500
www.preinnewhof.com
Message 3 of 7
troma

Do the 3D faces represent the pit, or the volume of the pit?  The way you wrote it makes me think the latter.  Where did they come from?  It is possible that a Volume surface was exploded or had the 3D faces extracted from it.  If that is the case, you need to build a surface from the 3D faces and another surface at elevation zero, and compare the two.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 4 of 7
RalphBrown99
in reply to: troma

Hi Troma, thanks for your long replay:

The 3D faces that I have represent the Pit. So trying to to clean the file in order to get the 3D faces that represent the surface of the pit is almost....impossible.

There is not way tof calculating the volume taking the 3D faces in the way I am describing?

Thanks

Rafael

Message 5 of 7
mathewkol

Civil 3D only calculates volumes using surfaces. You'll need to create surfaces and then calculate volumes. I doubt AutoCAD itself can do any such volume calculation.
Matt Kolberg
SolidCAD Professional Services
http://www.solidcad.ca /
Message 6 of 7
troma

What do you mean about 'Cleaning' the file?

If you have 3D faces that represent the pit, you can use them to build a TIN surface that duplicates them exactly.

3D faces, maintain edges.png

Then you need to create another surface at the top of the pit.  That will either be flat, as described earlier by others, or you could match it to the top of slope of the pit.

You can then calculate a volume between the two surfaces.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 7 of 7
RalphBrown99
in reply to: troma

Hi:

Thanks for the solution. I was lucky that the file came not only with the Volume that descrbed the pit but also with the Surface that described the same pit in a different layer, then I build the surface so I can now calculate the volume comparing this surface with the Original Ground surface

Regards

Rafael

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report