Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

volume based constriction calculations

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
mderb
446 Views, 10 Replies

volume based constriction calculations

I am up against a problem that I did not think would be that difficult, but the solution is not apparent.

I have a base TIN (bottom of the pile), and an existiong ground TIN that defines a soil pile. I have created a Volume TIN ( or volume grid) from these surfaces. I need to divide the soil pile into a volume based grid of no more than 700 cubic yard aliquats and as close to 700 as possible. My constraint of 700 cubic yards has a variable xy grid cell size due to different depths of the soil pile at various locations.

I can query volumes of this pile based on elevation just fine, but my volume of 700 cubic yards is my constraint. Will C3D 2011 calculate a variable grid in x and y based on a variable depth that is defined by a volume constraint? Or, can I calculate and show 700 cubic yard sub-volumes within a total volume?

I can draw closed polygons and query a volume using the Bounded Volumes tool and manually adjust the polygon till I am close to my target volume, but there must be a better (faster) way.

Thank you All.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: mderb

Would the stage storage command be of any use for this? It will cal basin volumes for a given increment?

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 3 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: Joe-Bouza

I've no idea what an aliquat is but I'm intrigued as to why you need to divide the volumes up as you have described - can you elaborate??

My understanding is that you essentially want to cookie cut the pile into 700 cu.yd.zones extending vertically from the top of the pile to the bottom?? If this is the case then stage storage won't work for you and I doubt if anything else will either.

Unless anyone else can chime in with a solution I think you will have to do this manually by trial and error which will be a bit tedious hence my original question as to why you need to do this.....

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 4 of 11
mderb
in reply to: neilyj666

Just consider an aliquat an equal percentage of the whole. Yes, good description, I need to cookie cut the soil pile into 700 cu.yd.zones extending vertically from the top of the pile to the bottom. Stage storage will not provide the data required in this case. The intention is to collect a volume-based heterogeneous sample from each 700 cu.yd.zone for onsite analysis.

Thank you for your input.

Message 5 of 11
neilyj666

Ahhh....!!!!.....an aliquot or aliquant (thanks Google...)

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 6 of 11
david.zavislan

Bounded Volumes command with hours of iterating the boundary geometry.

David Zavislan, P.E. | Wood Rodgers, Inc.
Message 7 of 11
Joe-Bouza

I'll keep that handi for the next Scrabble tourny Smiley Very Happy

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 8 of 11
mderb

thank you all for your help and suggestions. In the end, I created a 50 yd^2 grid, queried the grid cells and adjusted the y axis to control the volume constraint. Would have liked to have an automated, or semi automated tool to do this... probably could be done with a little progamming knowledge.

Message 9 of 11
wfberry

I think Joe had the right idea.  Take the contours of the pile and flip them over and simulate a pond.  Looks easy from here.

Bill

Message 10 of 11
neilyj666
in reply to: wfberry

Stage storage wouldn't work as the OP is trying to "cookie cut" vertically rather than horizontally...

EESignature

Message 11 of 11
wfberry

I guess I was thinking about eating some OREOs, no  cookies for me.

Bill

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report