AutoCAD Civil 3D General Discussion

Contributor
ssaigeon
Message 1 of 17 (500 Views)

Viewports moving even when locked

500 Views, 16 Replies
03-28-2013 07:23 AM

My viewports are doing something weird.

I know for a fact that my viewports were in the correct location, at the correct scale and they were locked.  To give you a little background, in my plan sheet drawing I am showing a plan view and profile view and I use 2 xrefs to do this, my master plan drawing and my profile master.  I was switching between the profile master and my plan sheet drawing doing some adjusting to the profile master's profile VC labels and making sure they will fit into the viewports I made in the plans sheets.  As I am doing this editing, I am saving the profile master and reloading the plan sheet drawing.  After I come out of the reload in my plan sheet drawing, every single viewport that shows the master plan xref was reset to a position way out in left field.  This makes absolutely no sense because I wasn't working with the plan view viewports and I am 100% certain they were LOCKED.  How is it even possible that they get moved if they are locked?

I am able to get around this problem by re-aligning my viewports to their correct position, its just annoying having to do this again.  I would really like to know what is causing this so I can prevent it from happening again.

Thanks,

Scott

Product Support
SethHall
Message 2 of 17 (467 Views)

Re: Viewports moving even when locked

03-29-2013 09:44 AM in reply to: ssaigeon

Which version of Civil 3D are you using? Do you have viewports side by side with other viewports that have different scales set?

Seth Hall
Product Support
GCSO - CSS - FTS
Autodesk, Inc.

Being Civil
Being Civil Twitter
Being Civil Facebook

Contributor
ssaigeon
Message 3 of 17 (448 Views)

04-01-2013 05:14 AM in reply to: SethHall

I use 2013.  I have 2 viewports per layout, one for plan and one for profile but they are both at the same scale.  It was the plan viewports that messed up even though I wasn't doing any work with them.

Product Support
SethHall
Message 4 of 17 (429 Views)

04-01-2013 08:05 AM in reply to: ssaigeon

Were these sheets created using the Plan Production tools or manually created viewports?

Also is this drawing specific or does it happen in all your production drawings?

Seth Hall
Product Support
GCSO - CSS - FTS
Autodesk, Inc.

Being Civil
Being Civil Twitter
Being Civil Facebook

Contributor
ssaigeon
Message 5 of 17 (427 Views)

04-01-2013 08:12 AM in reply to: SethHall

They were created manually.  I used the copy layout feature create the next sheet along my alignment and adjusteed them by hand.  This problem is not drawing specific, it has happened in two different drawings.  Glad you mentioned the plan production tools though.  Looks like I have been creating sheets the hard way.

Product Support
SethHall
Message 6 of 17 (420 Views)

04-01-2013 08:47 AM in reply to: ssaigeon

Thank you for the additional details. The fact that you are copying layouts may be the key to the issue. If you have a "bad" viewport you may have copied it to each layout tab and magnified the issue. You may want to try to create new viewports and see if that helps, or try out the plan production tools and see if you get a better result.

Seth Hall
Product Support
GCSO - CSS - FTS
Autodesk, Inc.

Being Civil
Being Civil Twitter
Being Civil Facebook

Contributor
ssaigeon
Message 7 of 17 (401 Views)

04-03-2013 05:56 AM in reply to: SethHall

I think I may have figured out what is causing my plan viewports to mess up and reset.  On each of my plan viewports I have a north arrow block attached to it that auto rotates to the north direction of what is being displayed in the viewport.  This feature is under layout tools -> North Arrow.  Now I have 2 drawings where I have had my plan viewports bug and in every instance I had a north arrow attached to the VP.  I should note that in the same drawings that my plan viewports bugged, my profile viewports did not (I assume because I have nothing attached to them).  I am using a custom north arrow block that keeps the "N" vertical and rotates the arrow as needed.  The bug may be simply the custom block I am using not playing nice with the North Arrow feature under Layout Tools, or the program may not like the quantity of north arrows attached to viewports in each drawing ( I have 11 in one and 10 in the other).

I can simply not use north arrow feature under the layout tools to get by, but should I be reporting this potential bug somewhere?  If so where?

Scott

Product Support
SethHall
Message 8 of 17 (381 Views)

04-04-2013 08:00 AM in reply to: ssaigeon

This is something I can report for you if you like; however I am going to need specific steps to reproduce. I tested this on my own, and my viewports seem remain intact no matter how many north arrows are used in the drawing and layouts. Could you try this minus your custom north arrow and see if it performs the same?

Seth Hall
Product Support
GCSO - CSS - FTS
Autodesk, Inc.

Being Civil
Being Civil Twitter
Being Civil Facebook

Contributor
ssaigeon
Message 9 of 17 (349 Views)

04-09-2013 10:52 AM in reply to: SethHall

I cannot seem to get the viewports to act up using the north arrows provided within ACAD.  Could it then be something with my custom North Arrow?

Product Support
SethHall
Message 10 of 17 (342 Views)

04-09-2013 12:10 PM in reply to: ssaigeon

If it is not reproducible with your custom north arrow then I would have to assume that something is wrong with that block or whatever you used to create it. Maybe try recreating it and see if it still happens.

Seth Hall
Product Support
GCSO - CSS - FTS
Autodesk, Inc.

Being Civil
Being Civil Twitter
Being Civil Facebook

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.
Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions or visit the Installation and Licensing Forum to get help installing your software.