Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viewports moving even when locked

46 REPLIES 46
Message 1 of 47
ssaigeon
3178 Views, 46 Replies

Viewports moving even when locked

My viewports are doing something weird.

I know for a fact that my viewports were in the correct location, at the correct scale and they were locked.  To give you a little background, in my plan sheet drawing I am showing a plan view and profile view and I use 2 xrefs to do this, my master plan drawing and my profile master.  I was switching between the profile master and my plan sheet drawing doing some adjusting to the profile master's profile VC labels and making sure they will fit into the viewports I made in the plans sheets.  As I am doing this editing, I am saving the profile master and reloading the plan sheet drawing.  After I come out of the reload in my plan sheet drawing, every single viewport that shows the master plan xref was reset to a position way out in left field.  This makes absolutely no sense because I wasn't working with the plan view viewports and I am 100% certain they were LOCKED.  How is it even possible that they get moved if they are locked?

I am able to get around this problem by re-aligning my viewports to their correct position, its just annoying having to do this again.  I would really like to know what is causing this so I can prevent it from happening again.

Thanks,

Scott

46 REPLIES 46
Message 21 of 47
ssaigeon
in reply to: doni49

Seeing if this works.  The most of the plan viewports (top ones on sheet) are moved while they were locked and they have a custom north arrow block attached to them.  I didn't include the profile master because it was too big but those viewports (the bottom) worked fine.

Message 22 of 47
doni49
in reply to: ssaigeon

And WHEN were they moved?  You saved the file with the VPs the way you wanted them, closed the file and they were moved the next time you opened the file?

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 23 of 47
Cadguru42

@doni49 wrote:

And WHEN were they moved?  You saved the file with the VPs the way you wanted them, closed the file and they were moved the next time you opened the file?

That's what happened to me. I had a drawing that used one of the OOTB north arrows in a couple of layouts. I hadn't opened that drawing in weeks and when I did the viewport magically panned to 0,0 while still being locked. There were no steps to reproduce it as all I did was open the drawing. I haven't had that happen since I switched to 2015 (now on 2016). 

C3D 2022-2024
Windows 10 Pro
32GB RAM
Message 24 of 47
doni49

Do you have a copy of this file from BEFORE it moved?  I'd like to compare the before and after.

Don Ireland
Engineering Design Technician

If a reply solves your issue, please remember to click on "Accept as Solution". This will help other users looking to solve a similar issue. Thank you.

Please do not send a PM asking for assistance. That's what the forums are for. This allows everyone to benefit from the question asked and the answers given.

Message 25 of 47
ssaigeon

To be honest, it seems to happen at random.  The one I attached in my previous post happened while I was in the drawing adding as-built comments, switching from layout to layout.  My first post on this thread talked about a different drawing in which the viewports moved, I copied it below.

"I know for a fact that my viewports were in the correct location, at the correct scale and they were locked.  To give you a little background, in my plan sheet drawing I am showing a plan view and profile view and I use 2 xrefs to do this, my master plan drawing and my profile master.  I was switching between the profile master and my plan sheet drawing doing some adjusting to the profile master's profile VC labels and making sure they will fit into the viewports I made in the plans sheets.  As I am doing this editing, I am saving the profile master and reloading the plan sheet drawing.  After I come out of the reload in my plan sheet drawing, every single viewport that shows the master plan xref was reset to a position way out in left field.  This makes absolutely no sense because I wasn't working with the plan view viewports and I am 100% certain they were LOCKED.  How is it even possible that they get moved if they are locked?"

Attached a copy from before the viewports moved.

Message 26 of 47
Cvanvliet

I want to do a test with the Dynamic North Arrow, I believe ever time this View Port has shifted to 0,0, it has been in Plan & profile sheets where there are multiple tabs. I created those tabs by using Tab Copy and then just adjust that same Viewport for the new profile. I think instead of coping over the Viewport maybe I should create a new viewport every time. Since I also use this Dynamic North arrows on Exhibits it has never affected my exhibits which only have one viewport. Just a thought... Any one else have some tips because it is very useful to use the Dynamic arrow just not when you have to keep fixing viewports.

Message 27 of 47
bsuits2
in reply to: Cvanvliet

I agree that it seems to happen randomly and while doing something on other layouts or perhaps when reopening a file...I have never seen a particular action that lead directly to this to be able to replicate it.

That being said, I also have seen this happen in files with multiple layouts that have simply been copied to create new tabs and then reposition the viewport and relock.  Also, when this has happened, I have noticed each time that the dynamic OOTB North arrows on all layouts seem to have become disassociated with their respective viewports - including the layouts where the viewport is still correctly oriented.  

I think I will begin copying layouts with viewports, but no North Arrows and then I will individually add and associate the dynamic North arrows.  It makes sense that perhaps there is somekind of association conflict as the layout tabs have been copied from the same original one.

I attached a copy of the last file that had this issue.  Layouts 2, 3, and 10 are currently affected. 

Message 28 of 47
wesley

I've had the same problem. It is usually on a drawing that has many layout tabs. I don't have an answer either. @doni49 your reply seems a little terse to me, we're users trying to find out what's going on with our drawings.Hope your day goes better.

I've attached a file. Check out the 01 STREAM 2 BORE TAB.

Wes

Message 29 of 47
RThev
in reply to: wesley

I'm having the same exact problem! I left work last night and everything was fine, and when I opened the drawing this morning, my LOCKED viewports had shifted to 0,0. After seeing this discussion thread I checked my north arrow and it was number 21. Hopefully someone from AutoCad will see this and realize that there is a problem, whether they want to acknowledge it or not. So now I have to go back and recreate twenty-some viewports. I will have wasted several hours due to this (I've already spent a couple of hours on this already). I don't know how AutoDesk works, but at MY company, it's completely unacceptable.

Message 30 of 47
wesley
in reply to: RThev

Happens to me all of the time. This is across releases (2013-2016) and
several different workstations. Until/if the fix the problem, I suggest
saving each view in the view manager.

Thanks,

Wes Ashworth, PE, RLS
Cell - 901.414.8767

ASHWORTH ENGINEERING, Pllc

Message 31 of 47
Joe-Bouza

Are there dynamic scale bars or arrows in use?

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 32 of 47
Joe-Bouza

It is definitely the dyno scale/ arrow

Your Name
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 33 of 47
twiebe

temporary fix to this is to setup your VP and scaling and orientation with the dynamic north arrow as you would expect. once you have things where you want them, explode the dynamic north arrow and your VP's will not change. I have posted this concern to Adesk in the past and had no answers.

This is the best I could come up with . I nearly put a fist through my workstation after having to reset nearly 20+ layouts on a repeated basis until I discovered this. Robot Mad

This is only a ductape solution Smiley Wink

Cheers

Tim

Message 34 of 47

I am not using any kind of north arrow, but I did originally xref an image into the dwg to to trace over (i have since removed it). I have posted my dwg. for example, in the viewport on the upper left side, I am trying to move the green text- copied from the title block in paper space- over on top of the 1/8" text from model space to confirm they are the same size and every time I try to zoom in to get them lined up my scale changes from what I ahve it set at (1:1) even if I am in paper space and have the viewport locked. Today is the 1st time this has ever happened. Only started after I changed the scale in page set up from 1:25.4 to 1:1 (inches)- would that cause this to happen?

Hope someone can help- this is driving me a bit nuts.... I have tried deleting and making new viewports, did not help.

Thank you,

Mary

Message 35 of 47
troma
in reply to: 5008520

As soon as I see the number 25.4 it raises red flags. That the number of mm in an inch.
Do you have a mix of units in your drawing? This can cause the C3D objects and labels to scale incorrectly in a viewport.

Mark Green

Working on Civil 3D in Canada

Message 36 of 47
in reply to: troma

Thank you for checking, but no I am not- tat was the original issue(I am new to CAD): I had been and was having difficulty getting the new 1/8" text to show up as the right size- my instructor rec to go check in page set up where I found it was set in mm so when I changed it to inches the 1:25.4 came up and I changed it to 1:1 in inches so that should all be ok.

The issue is that now I think I have the text fine so when the scale is 1:1 it look right but whenever I zoom (while in PS) the scale I have set 9and locked) changes. It just seems to be the one drawing so I just won't use it. I opened and started a new one and it is working normally, but it just bothers me that this is happening, when it ought not to be, and I can't make it stop.

Message 37 of 47
k_niedzielski

This same issue has happened to me multiple times and I also cannot forcibly reproduce the issue.  It seems to happen after I have copied several layouts with dynamic north arrows.  I have no clue as to why I cannot reproduce the issue.  I'm hoping to find a solution to this problem because the dynamic north arrows are very convenient.

Message 38 of 47
wesley
in reply to: k_niedzielski

I've started exploding the north arrow and have had no issues since.  It's a stupid thing to have to do....

Wes

Message 39 of 47
Kathy-CAD
in reply to: wesley

We also had that Problem, across all the Versions from starting of dynamic Layout elements..

We noticed that there is a Problem of using dynamic north arrows and using „_.VPMIN“ _.VPMAX, without zoom to 0,0 in every viewport linked to a North arrow.

It run always without problem, until we maximize the viewport.

We also started an autodesk support case, 1,5 Year ago, but couldn't get any solution jet.

Now we installed Version 2017 and the problem is still the same..

There had been one "funny" solution from our local support: “just don't use "_.VPMIN" "_.VPMAX"….”

So we had to make a decision: -dynamic north arrow  ./.  "_.VPMIN" "_.VPMAX"

We make a workaround:

Every dwg had a speziell "work layout“ include only Viewports without North/scale, There you can switch on/off and use  "_.VPMIN" "_.VPMAX" as often you want. Nevertheless, in all other Layouts the Command “_.VPMIN" "_.VPMAX" is absolute taboo.

Alternative you can only don't use the dynamic north arrow or get mad..

Perhaps there will be a Solution in Version 2018???? or did anyone solved this problem in a better way??

Message 40 of 47
awkeller88
in reply to: Kathy-CAD

Same issue here. Ran into the problem on two different drawings. Seems to be the dynamic north arrow. I shall try to recreate the problem when I have a chance.

~Andy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report