Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

viewport zoom window snap

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
witster23
41889 Views, 12 Replies

viewport zoom window snap

Hello all.  I just switched over from AutoCAD Civil 3D 2008 to 2011, and of course am having trouble getting everything set up the way I like it.  I usually create a square in model space around what I want to show in the viewport.  Then I go to paperspace and do a "zoom window" in the paper space viewport and snap the zoom window to the corners of the square.  CAD 2011 doesn't seem to let me do this.  I'm pretty sure it is a SETVAR issue, anyone know of the variable that needs to be set to allow me to do this again?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.  If my question isn't clear, please ask and I'll try to explain it better.

Chris

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
witster23
in reply to: witster23

OK, I got it.  I was also unable to snap to anything when plotting in paperspace using the window to delineate what I wanted to plot. 

If you are having this problem, the variable OSNAPCOORD needs to be set to 0.  This can be done by typing

SETVAR OSNAPCOORD 0

I did this and it still took awhile to "take".  I fiddled around with typing "INT" before delineatining my window, then started using F3 as the shortcut.  All of a sudden it started doing it on it's own. 

Chris

Message 3 of 13
garou01

Thanks , works for me!!

Message 4 of 13
CloptoJ

ahah. that fixed it for me too. Thanks for posting!

Message 5 of 13
DavidTerry88
in reply to: CloptoJ

Can anyone explain what OSNAPCOORD has to do with snapping in a viewport when useing zoom-window? I always have the change the variable to 0 in order to zoom-window in viewports, but then I have to set it back to 2 in order to do any modeling. With it at 0, you can't move anything without using snaps. I often shift things around orthogonally (or polar-ly, as I always use polar tracking) and at OSNAPCOORD=0, trying this literally does nothing. It's beyond annoying, and make zero sense whatsoever.

Message 6 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: DavidTerry88

Here's the official definition:

Controls whether coordinates entered on the command line will override running object snaps.

Value Description
0 Running object snap settings override keyboard coordinate entry
1 Keyboard entry overrides object snap settings
2 Keyboard entry overrides object snap settings except in scripts

But I can't apply that to your situation either. I don't have any experience with it because I don't ever remember doing a window zoom using an Osnap from MS opened in a PS layout.

Further info. OSNAPCOORD has nothing to do with model/paperspace.  If it is set to 1 or 2 now Zoom Window will not use running Osnaps. You would have to enter the Osnap of select it off the rt-clk menu. If it's set to 0. Zoom Window will use the running Osnap. I gleaned that from reading a couple of other posts on the subject.

Personally I don't want a Zoom Window to use the running Osnaps. So I have mine set to 2.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 13
DavidTerry88
in reply to: AllenJessup

Good tip on the right click menu for quick OSNAPs, but it still doesn't make any sense that allowing the command line to override osnaps would cause the osnaps to do nothing when using that one command, zoom-window. Overriding or not overriding snaps should still allow snaps if they aren't actively being overridden.

I use ZW all the time because of viewports in paper space. Every detail's viewport will eventually be ZW'ed in. We draw all of our details in a mock-paperspace view within model space, which I think is fairly standard, at least based on the different firms I've worked for, once you know where that paperspace viewport will point to, you need to then zoom into that detail box. How else would you zoom into the detail box?

Message 8 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: DavidTerry88

I'm not going to defend the logic of the Autodesk programmers.

I do things almost exactly as you described. Except I save a View in Modelspace for the area I want in the viewport. I then restore the View in the paperspace viewport. I sometimes draw a polyline around the viewport and use Changespace to move it to Modelspace. Then I can define the View by snapping to the corners.

BTW Shift + E will get you an endpoint Osnap.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 13
cwr-pae
in reply to: AllenJessup

In ver2018 is a nifty little thing to go one step farther with a view to view port.  After creating a the models space view (with the scale you want) in paper space, make view and named (mv;na;) lets you type the name of a model space view to create a viewport from that named view with the scale for the view applied.

Message 10 of 13
AllenJessup
in reply to: cwr-pae

Nice. I'll have to remember that. We're still on 2017. Struggling to get to 2019.

Allen Jessup
CAD Manager - Designer

EESignature

Message 11 of 13
ahbMX4CH

This is the solution ;

SETVAR

OSNAPCOORD

0 (zero)

Than it works

Message 12 of 13

Half hour of google searching and this is the only thing that worked for me. 

Message 13 of 13
rkirsten.artk

THANK YOU!!!! Saved the day. I was in Autocad all the time , 10 years ago. Just getting back into it and was at a loss.  Thank you!!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report