Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View sheets - Profile text is too small

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
emmar0001
5602 Views, 10 Replies

View sheets - Profile text is too small

I created a view sheet set from a view frame (P&P), but the profile text is wayyy too small and I cannot see the major vertical gridlines. How can I change this?

C3D 2010
Intel Core 2, Windows XP
2.67GHz, 3GB RAM
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
gjrcmb
in reply to: emmar0001

The display of gridlines is controlled through the Profile View Style | Display tab settings for the style that you are applying to the profile view.  Select your profile view and go into Profile View Properties.  On the Information tab under Object Style, select the icon to the right to Edit Current Style.  On the Display tab make sure the visability for the Grid Vertical Major is enabled.  Also make sure that the corresponding layer is on and thawed in the layer manager including the viewport settings.

As far as the text settings, I assume that you are talking about the grid text?  This is set in different places depending on how you have your profile view configured.  If you are not applying any Bands, then the text size is controlled through the Profile View Style as described above, then through the Horizontal and Vertical Axes tabs.  

If this does not seem to affect the text, the profile view is probably applying a Band. Go back into Profile View Properties and the Bands tab.  If there is a Band in the List of Bands, select the Band and then click the icon next to the item listed under Style to open the Pick Band Style dialog box.  Select the Edit Current Style icon to open the Profile Data Band Style dialog box and the Band Details tab.  Select the Compose Label button.  In the Label Style Composer and the Layout tab, you can specify Text Heights for the different text components.

As far as other labels on the profile itself, the text sizes are controlled through other label styles.

As a side note, I noticed that when using the Plan Production Create View Frames feature (which I believe is what you are doing) that I am unable to change the selected Profile View Style after the frames are created.  In other words if you select a frame and then go into Group Properties, the drop down arrow on the Profile Views tab next to Profile view style to be used it is greyed out.  You can still make changes to the underlying style, but you cannot change to a completely different style.  I wonder whether anyone else has any insight into this observation?

Message 3 of 11
emmar0001
in reply to: gjrcmb

Thanks for the suggestion Gavin, but it didn't seem to work. I'm attaching the sheet as it prints out. I now have a few problems:

• The text is still too small in the Profile View
  • I can't getthe minor vertical (chainage) lines shown in Profile View
  • There's no annotation at all in the Plan view
  • The text for the Matchline is now blurred as can be seen from the dark shaded areas in the Plan view

I've tried all approaches but still can't seem to solve it. Any other advice?

C3D 2010
Intel Core 2, Windows XP
2.67GHz, 3GB RAM
Message 4 of 11
gjrcmb
in reply to: emmar0001

Sounds like things are getting worse.

The text settings are configured through various settings and styles, depending on what text you are talking about (Stations, Elevations, Profile Labels, etc).  Hard to really check out all the settings without looking at the files, and the image is not really much help.  Not sure if you are running C3D 2012, which is what I have, so it's possible we could be looking at different things.  Is the text showing up in Model space correctly?

Did you see that a Band is applied in the Profile Views Property?  If so, there is one addition to what I said above.  Where I indicated to select the Compose Label button, I noticed that there are actually two of those buttons in the Profile Data Band Style dialog box.  You need to be selecting the one on the right under Labels and Ticks, as well as selecting what feature you want to compose like Major Station.  Not sure if that applies in your situation or not?

Not sure what you mean by chainage?

Was the annotation showing up in the Plan view before?  The fuzziness of the Matchlines sounds odd, makes me think something else is going on perhaps with the Plan Production tools.  I would like to be able to look at the file, but that may not be practical from your end.  If it is practical, send me an private message and I can give you my email address.

Message 5 of 11
gjrcmb

OK, thanks for sharing the file with me privately.  Looks like with the help of a previous posting by forum contributor "troma" that the small text problem is associated with the Page Setup. Go figure.  Thanks to troma!

So per troma's findings, I went into your sheet layout drawing and to Print > Page Setup.  I note that what I am seeing in the Page Setup Manager is that the Plot Size is set to 11x17 inches, so that is the problem.  You are working in mm.  So click the Modify button for one of your sheets selected, pick a plotter, and pick a paper size (like ISO A1 841 x 594 MM).  Hit OK and then Close.  Now if you open up the viewports on the sheet you changed the setup for, and do a regen you should see the text display at the correct Annotation scale.  So you can repeat this process for the other sheets if that resolved the small text issue.  If you change all the setups, you can then just save, close, and reopen the drawing and it will regenerate all the viewports (or I think you could just do a REGENALL).

As far as other settings.  I notice that the Annotation scales for different drawings and viewports are not necessarily consistent.  I think this is just setting you up for confusion, and that it is better to have these all set at the same Annotation scale.  Other than that if the page setup resolves the small text issue, I think you can adjust label styles to get the text to look the way you want it.

Let me know how that worked and whether you are still seeing other issues?
Message 6 of 11
andrewpuller3811

"Not sure what you mean by chainage?"

Gavin, just for reference.

For "chainage" read "station".

Don't know where  emmar0001 is from but we use Chainage in Australia. (As it should be of course :D)

"Station" is what we call a Setup Point for survey instrument.

I have had many hours trying to explain all the various "wrong" terminology that Civil 3d uses. lol

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 7 of 11
wfberry
in reply to: andrewpuller3811

Andrew:

Since we are somewhat off the subject, how long is a chain in Australia?

Bill

Message 8 of 11
gjrcmb

Ah, Andrew I appreciate the down under education.  Let me see, where is my note pad.  It is important to be up on varying terminology locally as well as internationally.  Isn't there a terminology style setting somewhere to personalize C3D for different locales, lol.

As far as the subject post, changing the Page Setup as described in my previous post seems to have resolved the problem, per my communications with emmar0001.  Kind of a quirky thing, but nice to be aware of.

Message 9 of 11
andrewpuller3811
in reply to: wfberry

1 Chain = 100 links = 20.117m

If a post provides a fix for your issue, click on "Accept as Solution" to help other users find solutions to problems they might have that are similar to yours.

Andrew Puller
Maitland, NSW, Australia
Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Intel core i7 11800 @ 2.30 GHz with 32GB Ram
Civil 3d 2021
Message 10 of 11
wfberry

Very good!

1 Chain = 100 links = 20.117m 

Apparently the same here in the States 1 Chain = 66.00 FEET (20.117 M)

Bill

Message 11 of 11
Ahmed..Helal

11 years later, this still helped me a lot, nothing was working, even after making both the viewport and the model with the same exact scale, the scale was driving me crazy, till I found your answer.
Thank you so much.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report