Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

view frame match line text

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
jte9508
1789 Views, 9 Replies

view frame match line text

I created match lines for a pipeline project through the use of view frames.  The styles I set up worked great, but I'm having a problem with the match line text.  It looks like the match line text is associated with the 'sheet number' within the sheet set manager.  The problem is that I have 4 general drawings (G1, G2, G3 and G4) at the front of my set and the first plan and profile drawing would be sheet number 5.  I don't want the match line text to show 5, I want to change it so it's associated with the 'sheet title' which is PP1.  Is this an option?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
bscott
in reply to: jte9508

You can make this happen in different ways.  Here are a couple:

1. Convert the field to text and change it (Edit the text, right click, convert field to text).

2. Go into the sheet set and modify the properties of the individual sheets.  (Right click on the indiviual sheets/properties).  You can give each one of them a "description" and then link the description field for your datafield in your matchline.

3.  You can give the sheet a specific title in sheet set manager, but if you want your actual sheet title in your titleblock to be different than your matchline text, this is not really good option.

These are probably the easiest, especially number 2, as you can give your sheet the full title you want, like Plan and Profile 1, but assign a description of PP1.  Then change the matcline text to call for the individual sheet set sheet descriptions.

Hope this provides some options,

Bryan

Bryan_S
Windows 10 Enterprise
2.40 GHz Dual Xeon Six-Core 64bit / 32gig ram
Nvidia Quadro M4000
3DConnexion CAD Mouse
Message 3 of 10
jte9508

thanks for the response bryan. 

but here's my problem.  since i created the match lines through the view frame portion of civil 3d, i was hoping to be able to "program" civil 3d to look for the sheet title instead of sheet number.  when i edit the matchline label styles in the civil 3d settings tab, when i select the text portion, on the left under the properties down arrow, i can only select the previous or next sheet number.  this then comes in as [Previous Sheet Number(CP)] in the preview.  i just didn't know if i could override that to make it look for the title.

my only other thing is to reconfigure my title block and switch the title and number fields.  i have 40 miles of pipeline in 1 alignment and do not want to reconfigure each matchline along that alignment.  so i'm trying to figure out a more elegant/efficient way through civil 3d.

i feel like i just rambled.  did any of that make sense?

-jon

Message 4 of 10
klugb

You save me from writing the description. I have the same exact problem, here is the image to go with your description.

Bruce

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 5 of 10
Joe-Bouza

Is this an improvement for 2009 and forward? I'm stuck on 2008 and have never been able to mix ACAD Fields with Civil3d Styles.

How do you get s Sheet set field inton your match line style?

Thanks, Joe

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS
Message 6 of 10
jte9508

i am also using civil 3d 2008.

Message 7 of 10
klugb

I am in 2009, for now.

Not sure about 2008 but here is the way in 2009. The problem is we are limited in our choices when we get there.

Bruce

Bruce Klug, P.E.
AutoCAD Expert Elite Alumni
AutoCAD Civil 3D Certified Professional
Civil 3D 2023.2.1

Win 10 Enterprise, 64-bit
Message 8 of 10
jte9508
in reply to: klugb

that's pretty much what it looks like in 2008.  and to address joe's issue, i haven't found a way (obviousy in 2008) to add in fields to any styles. 

Message 9 of 10
bscott

Sorry for not responding right away- Mother Nature was kicking the door down.

I always have thought that the references to sheet set come after the fact.  Meaning, you have to manually link your text to a specific sheet set attribute.  I am not aware of being able to have datafields being inserted into styles, even if just a placeholder, which, would still be after the fact anyways.

You might be able to venture into creating a specific expression, but that is beyond my capabilities.  I would contact the guys over at http://www.civil3d.com/ (James Wedding) to see if they have found a way to utilize a specific expression for this.  Again, I think using the sheet set attributes are after the fact, but I could be wrong.

Sorry for no help and good luck!  Please post if you get a solution as sounds like this is wanted by more than one.  I use kind of the same thing, but I link mine to ssm after the fact.

Bryan_S
Windows 10 Enterprise
2.40 GHz Dual Xeon Six-Core 64bit / 32gig ram
Nvidia Quadro M4000
3DConnexion CAD Mouse
Message 10 of 10
Joe-Bouza
in reply to: bscott

I didn't think it was possible OOTB. However, with the help of third party stuff, if you rename renumber sheet in SSM to include your dicipline prefix your match line will reflect that. The third party stuff would need to keep track of the running sheet number. Try JTB World dot com and chris F on these boards hase some great helpers.

Joe

Thank you

Joseph D. Bouza, P.E. (one of 'THOSE' People)

HP Z210 Workstation
Intel Xeon CPU E31240 @ 3.30 Hz
12 GB Ram

Note: Its all Resistentialism, so keep calm and carry on

64 Bit Win10 OS

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report