Community
Civil 3D Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Civil 3D Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular AutoCAD Civil 3D topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

view cube will not stay pointed to the north

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
lissaucad
2707 Views, 7 Replies

view cube will not stay pointed to the north

In the previous versions of civil 3d 2012 or earlier, I never had a problem with the view cube not staying pointed to the north.  Since I never touched it in the past, how do I get it to stay pointed to the north?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Alfred.NESWADBA
in reply to: lissaucad

Hi,

>> how do I get it to stay pointed to the north?

When you don't use the viewcube, and you don't use commands like _ORBIT or _DDVIEW it should stay with north direction upwards.

My question now is: when does it turn away? 😉

- alfred -

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Alfred NESWADBA
Ingenieur Studio HOLLAUS ... www.hollaus.at ... blog.hollaus.at ... CDay 2024
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(not an Autodesk consultant)
Message 3 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM

If you are referring to the viewcube being "skewed" a bit, you can type in GEOGRAPHICLOCATION.  When prompted select, Remove the Geographic Location and it will reset it.  This is usually due to using a previous release version template file and opening a drawing with it in a new release.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager
Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 4 of 8
neilyj666

EDIT: Todd beat me to the reply....

This seems to be a problem with 2013 if you have migrated templates etc rather than using the OOTB templates for 2013.

GEOGRAPHICLOCATION > EDIT and set the angle to zero will sort it.

I have my NAVVCUBE variable set to OFF so I can't see it and it'll probably only affect things things like sunlight in renderings

neilyj (No connection with Autodesk other than using the products in the real world)
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

AEC Collection 2024 UKIE (mainly Civil 3D UKIE and IW)
Win 11 Pro x64, 1Tb Primary SSD, 1Tb Secondary SSD
64Gb RAM Intel(R) Xeon(R) W-11855M CPU @ 3.2GHz
NVIDIA RTX A5000 16Gb, Dual 27" Monitor, Dell Inspiron 7760
Message 5 of 8
DMFACER

This happens when you set your file to a coordinate system. 

If you use the GEOGRAPHICLOCATION command to remove the geographic location as posted by Todd, it will set your file back to a generic coordinate system, which could cause issues if you are importing or connecting to data.

If you use the GEOGRAPHICLOCATION command to set your angle back to Zero as posted by neilyj, it will only hold this setting until the file is closed.  When the file is reopened, the angle will be skewed again.

"The most dangerous phrase in the language is 'We've always done it this way.'" - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper
Message 6 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: DMFACER

If my drawing is set to a coordinate system, say state plane, and I remove the geographic location, my drawing coordinate system is NOT affected. 

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Message 7 of 8
DMFACER

In all of our testing of this issue, we have not been able to hold the coordinate system of the file if we remove the geographic location.  If we could get it to hold, it would be much less of an issue for us.

Wish I knew what we were doing differently!

"The most dangerous phrase in the language is 'We've always done it this way.'" - Rear Admiral Grace Hopper
Message 8 of 8
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: DMFACER

I wish I knew what your were doing differently too.  I can see where that would potentially cause major issues.  Neither I, nor my customers have had the coordinate system default back to a generic coordinate system.  However, you are not alone.  I have read about others having the issue reverting to a generic coord system.

Todd Rogers
BIM Manager

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report